Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DANGER! DANGE!R DANGER! with Student edition submissions for projets.

Rich, I will take your word for it but that is not what the original poster said. Maybe you should address his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Rich, I will take your word for it but that is not what the original poster said. Maybe you should address his post.
    In the original post he said that Solidworks said that you "can" be held liable. Meaning that if certain conditions are met, then there is reason for them to take action. A legitimate student edition user trying to get parts made would not be reason for them to be concerned. Someone running a business on student software would be a reason.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    A student can Art as part of their student work, what is not allowed is for somebody to use a Student version of the software to create a file they wish to use for commercial purpose. My wife is currently doing a degree in Criminal Psychology so has access to a lot of student software available to her via Microsoft and others, if she want's me to 3d print something for her for her studies from a file version created with said student software that is legal, if I use her software though and then proceed to try and market or sell the end results that is when the law is broken.
    That's because YOU know you're not supposed to market a product from her student software,

BUT- if she doesn't reveal the source of her files and simply pays YOU to make the product that SHE markets, then SHE is guilty of fraud, and YOU are guilty of nothing.

My point is this: people supply me with PDF's and blueprints and drawings and whoknowswhat daily. My job is to build/make/fabricate/manufacture/engrave/etch/paint etc. etc., whatever the prints and drawings specify me to do. I have no idea if any of these drawings or their contents are stolen or pirated. And as long as I DON'T know, even if they are, according to the law, I can't be held liable.

It's when I DO know, that I'm liable.

A few years ago I received an order for 100 small aluminum plates. The text was simply "MADE IN USA". I found out thru some internet conversation that my customer planned to put these plates on parts that he was having shipped in from China.

As soon as I found out, I cancelled the order.

But what if I'd never found out? Would I have been guilty of anything?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So going back a few posts. I would think that if a student wanted a proof of concept or prototype (a 1 off) that it might be permissible but very expensive. Wanting 3000 of them is a different ball game. It is my opinion that it is our responsibility to do our due diligence on files that may infringe or violate copy rights or are licensed products. Go ahead and try to sell am NFL product without a license and see what happens. if anyone disagrees don't be surprised when you get the knock on the door by a process server.

To Rich
    I believe I did mention that the PDF I received had a Watermark,(on all 3 pages) that clearly said it what am Academic version of Solidworks. if you have ever read a TOS of an academic version it usually states that they can not be used for commercial production ( I am paraphrasing) Rhino I think is one of the only Cad apps that has an easy upgrade path from Academic to commercial use software.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

But what if I'd never found out? Would I have been guilty of anything?
    If you can show that a reasonable person would have no realistic way of knowing then you are protected...Having files that have "Academic Use Only" all over them probably isn't going to end well if you use them commercially.
    You did what !

I am not sure but I believe that the student can not export a working prt file so that is probably why the PDF with the watermark is used. I read somewhere that a student version prt file can not be opened in a full blown solid works app.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    FOTC link

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    I am not sure but I believe that the student can not export a working prt file so that is probably why the PDF with the watermark is used. I read somewhere that a student version prt file can not be opened in a full blown solid works app.
    It can be opened but you will get a message telling you that it is an academic version and that once edited, the academic version can no longer open it.
    Gerber Sabre 408

To Rich
    I believe I did mention that the PDF I received had a Watermark,(on all 3 pages) that clearly said it what am Academic version of Solidworks. if you have ever read a TOS of an academic version it usually states that they can not be used for commercial production...
    I would certainly question them about using an academic version, if it is a business, then obviously you wouldn't accept the work. But there are certainly users that legitimately use the academic version, they deserve to be able to get stuff made - as long as they are not making a business out of it.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 06-12-2015 at 5:13 PM. Reason: typo
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I would certainly question them about using an academic version, if it is a business, then obviously you wouldn't accept the work. But there are certainly users that legitimately use the academic version, they deserve to be able to get stuff made - as long as they are not making a business out of it.

+1...yup this would be how I would do it
    You did what !

This is a fairly honest group of genuinely good people here on this forum, but my experience with a company I worked for a few years back is that although they knew it was illegal, they regularly used straight up pirated copies of Corel, Photoshop, Flexisign and others, at one point I got so fed up I totaled all the illegal software to be around $20K and confronted the owner with the info, his response was "it wasn't hurting anyone", "they can afford it, they make millions" and "it's only illegal if you get caught". That kind of mindset is really out there and it boggles my mind!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

One of the companies that I used to work for used Pirated software and got caught it cost them a lot ore in fines than the legal copies would have.

How can you be expected to know all of the nuances of all their different licenses, including the ones you don't own? I'd love to see that go to court, just for entertainment value.

read the TOS... if it looks suspicious then it probably id. If they submit a PDF of a 3d item for a quote but can not get you the actual 3D file that throws up a red flag.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

FOTC link

Blog Entries
    read the TOS... if it looks suspicious then it probably id. If they submit a PDF of a 3d item for a quote but can not get you the actual 3D file that throws up a red flag.
    Then what would be the point of the quote? If they can't get you the file, it means you'll be recreating he item, so you charge accordingly.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    This is a fairly honest group of genuinely good people here on this forum, but my experience with a company I worked for a few years back is that although they knew it was illegal, they regularly used straight up pirated copies of Corel, Photoshop, Flexisign and others, at one point I got so fed up I totaled all the illegal software to be around $20K and confronted the owner with the info, his response was "it wasn't hurting anyone", "they can afford it, they make millions" and "it's only illegal if you get caught". That kind of mindset is really out there and it boggles my mind!
    One disgruntled employee (or ex-employee) with a cell phone or email account and Oh Boy.

https://reporting.bsa.org/r/report/a...rc=us&ln=en-us

https://reporting.bsa.org/r/report/u...onditions.aspx