Thread: Delta 6" jointer

Delta 6" jointer

I can get what I think is a good deal on a slightly used one ($100). Don't know the model yet, guy says it is one they sell at Home Depot. Is this a good price and a reasonable jointer for a small shop for a beginning woodworker?

I think so. Should be plenty good for a starter jointer. Buy it, use it, and if later you decide you want to upgrade, you should easily be able to sell it and get your money back...

I have a delta x5 jointer 6 inch it works for me, I don't have much to compare it to, but it makes boards flat...

Depends if it is the benchtop version or the Floor standing one.

The benchtop ones do not have enough mass and are pretty cheaply built to be worth it in my opinion.

My first jointer was a delta X5 floorstanding one and it did a good job. I upgraded after about a year to an 8".

$100 is a good deal for a good condition one.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I have a delta x5 jointer 6 inch it works for me, I don't have much to compare it to, but it makes boards flat...
    different critter. this is small bench-top.

that said - - hard to lose out on $100. If it is square and plumb - it works.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-12-...-071/205112293
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'd buy it for $100. Build a heavy duty stand out of 2x4's and if necessary put a sandbag in the bottom for mass. It will last you a couple years till you're ready for better.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Or, you could spend a little more money and get something that you will enjoy using and will last for a long time. I see older Delta 6" jointers for $150.- $200. around here.
    That 1 star rated HD jointer will likely be a pain in the butt until you get rid of it just like the guy that has it now.

Mel is correct. An old cast iron machine will be of much better use. I've gotten 6" for $50 to $75. Pass on it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    Or, you could spend a little more money and get something that you will enjoy using and will last for a long time. I see older Delta 6" jointers for $150.- $200. around here.
    That 1 star rated HD jointer will likely be a pain in the butt until you get rid of it just like the guy that has it now.
    I second that - the benchtop models don't even compare to a floor model, and deals are out there if you keep your eyes open; I picked up my 6" Taiwanese Jet clone in nearly new condition for only $80 on Craigslist a couple years ago.
    ~Garth