Thread: Question on face frame doors

Question on face frame doors

Is it best (easiest) to build, fit and mount the doors to the frame before the frame is mounted to the cabinet or wait until after it is mounted? It seems to me that if the frame is lying flat on the assembly table it would make things a little simpler.
    So, I guess I am wondering how most of you would approach this part of the build.

I have always installed the doors after installing the face frame, but installing them temporarily before mounting the face frame to the cabinet would be easier to get the overlay correct. Then remove them install the face frame and remount the doors. I will give pre-mounting a try the next time I do doors. Makes logical sense.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

For me it depends on the application "kitchen/bathroom cabinets, hardwood cabinet, exc" style of door "overlay or inset" and style of hinge. Ultimatly which ever way you think is easier, is the way I would do it. I all ways mount my face frames first.

I think the biggest aspect is overlay vs inset. The face frames inevitably bend or shift a bit when they are attached to the cabinet. For an overlay door, no problem. But for an inset, the result can be uneven gaps that you will end up having to fine-tune in place anyway.

There is no situation that I can think of where it's advantageous to mount doors to frames before mounting frames to cabinets. You mentioned "build, fit and mount" as your door workflow. I'd change that to measure, build, mount, adjust....and all after mounting the frame to the carcass.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks guys

The frame will go on first. I had not thought about the fact that the doors will want to shift a little after they are hung.

After - - - just clamp a piece of scrap to the bottom of the face frame and rest the door(s) on that.
    That makes it super easy to do any fine tuning or adjustments to the doors.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    After - - - just clamp a piece of scrap to the bottom of the face frame and rest the door(s) on that.
    That makes it super easy to do any fine tuning or adjustments to the doors.
    This is how I have been doing it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.