Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventative Maintenance

Preventative Maintenance

Anyone think that I should clean out the fans?

MiniFans.jpg

During quarterly maintenance I re-align the beam, so I thought I might as well yank the tube to remove the fans as well.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Are they even spinning?

not just yet I think they can go another 5 years or so Now I'm sure every engraver here is checking their fans today.

They look like the air filter on my truck when they checked it last time I went in for oil, never cleaned or checked it in 10 years , my bad.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Yes. I never really paid attention to the fans since when they are active I couldn't clearly see they were so clogged up.

I lay a very thin/breathable filter over my fans. It's not so thick as to cause fan issues or to filter 100%. It's just enough to let the fans breath freely and catch the big dust particles. I wash it out a couple times a year.
    Laser Filter.jpg
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Wow! Makes me want to take apart and clean my machines right now!

Tim is spot on a thin filter is the way to go and very easy to replace Frank
    Shenhui Laser G570 80W RECI

Adobe CS6, Corel x6 and other bits and all of which I struggle with

I am from the West coast of Ireland thus I chatter a lot

yikes! Ed hope you are not breathing the rest of the dust that is not captured by your fans.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I lay a very thin/breathable filter over my fans. It's not so thick as to cause fan issues or to filter 100%. It's just enough to let the fans breath freely and catch the big dust particles. I wash it out a couple times a year.
    Laser Filter.jpg
    Tim - where do you purchase the filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    yikes! Ed hope you are not breathing the rest of the dust that is not captured by your fans.
    Hey Mike - Mostly I think it's because of dog hair more than anything else. Our Harrier Hound loves to hang out under my desk during laser time.

I have a couple of light blue furnace filters the type that hang on the inside of the furnace door , wonder it they would work ok?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Whenever I post pics of something I'm working on or fixing, Dan always tells me I should "clean up that [whatever machine is in the picture]!!"

Yeah, well, my machines may have a good 'surface coat' of guck on 'em all the time, but what no one sees is that the insides of my computers and cooling fans- and there's a lot of them- is what I DO try to keep clean. Not pristine by any means, but I air hose or vacuum fans and their filters quite often. And every so often I'll haul a computer or two and an air hose outside and blow all the dirt out of the housings and power supplies, the heat sink fins, and really especially the processor heat sinks.

My machines could care less about a little grime, but the computers do NOT like running hot..!

This thread is timely, as I have about 3 EP modules and a couple of computers overdue for a CABJ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Sorry, I have no clue. Been using this one for nearly 8 years. When it's dirty I throw it in the washing machine & it's as good as new. Feels like some type of synthetic fiber. Not soft at all.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Amazon or eBay - search for computer filter or such until you find some you can use. Furnace filter material may be too thick for these small fans.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Whenever I post pics of something I'm working on or fixing, Dan always tells me I should "clean up that [whatever machine is in the picture]!!"
    I thought Dan would be the first one to respond to my post. Guess he's on vacation! :-)