Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Another) Cottonwood Crotch Platter

(Another) Cottonwood Crotch Platter

This one was a pain, from beginning to end. It warped a lot as it dried, to the extent that I'm lucky to have a disk all in one plane. It came off the lathe and cracked. It had yellow CA stain on another crack. It's held together by epoxy and white glue. I washed it with Transtint golden brown dissolved in DNA, then used the same brush to seal coat it in shellac. The dye effectively hid the CA stain and popped the grain a little. I originally finished it in gloss WOP, but added a top coat of satin WOP. The gloss showed too many of my errors, which are legion in this piece.
    IMG_8978.jpgIMG_8984.jpg
    Cottonwood, 15" x 1", Transtint, shellac, satin WOP, paste wax.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

challenges aside...I think this piece is a beauty!

Looks like the wait was worth it to me. Very pretty piece Doug.

Looks good from here Doug. You got that flame nice and centered. Love the finish on it!!

Great looking platter.......

That's a beautiful piece. Well done. I can't even see your "errors".

Very, very, very nice.

That's a real beauty Doug. I like the finish, coloring and how you finished up the bottom. Very Nice Work!

Very nice decorating piece Doug, awesome color and grain with the chatoyance shimmer, a beauty for sure 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Wow!
    Very nice.
    If it's not fun, you'er not doing it right.

it may be fraught with problems, but beauty ain't one of them. stunning figure
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Doug. Beautiful piece. Amazing finish. I can't see any errors at all. Nice job.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Joyce Kilmer said it best in his Poem, "Trees".
    I THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree...........
    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Joyce Kilmer said it best in his Poem, "Trees".
    I THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree...........
    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.
    Well said, Faust. I feel silly taking any credit for the beauty that was there all along. My craftsmanship was mediocre all along and the reason people can't see my errors is the camera doesn't show everything. I'm not Michelangelo, who claimed his sculptures were always there, inside the marble, and he just removed the excess. My only contribution was to hope the beauty was there and to make the effort to try to find it.

The top of this platter is not perfectly flat, but I couldn't see it until the finish went on. I would have needed a brake lathe to get a flat surface, and even that may not have worked the way the wood was moving. There's a run in the finish on the back and I'm just too lazy to fix it. The reason it came off the lathe and cracked is I put anti-seize compound on the spindle threads and didn't use a grub screw. Despite all this, the wood is beautiful and worth the effort. I appreciate all the nice comments. Many of you have skills far beyond mine and it means a lot when you say something nice.

This is one of the first pieces I've done with my new Thompson 3/4" scraper. It was a joy to work with and allowed me to do things I've never done before, so kudos to Doug for making a fine tool.

I've been thinking about how decisions in the past affect my actions today. I'm turning pine and cottonwood now, whether I want to or not, because two and three years ago I saved wood from those trees. I remember telling the tree trimmer to give me the crotches and haul away the rest of the tree. I got a funny look, because crotches are the worst firewood and why else would anyone want cottonwood? I suppose there's a life lesson in that, but I have to go fix a shower for a tenant, so back to the drudgery of earning a living.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Absolutely stunning, simply beautiful. I'd be proud of that one for sure!