Thread: Does anyone have the Delta Model RS830 radial arm saw?

Does anyone have the Delta Model RS830 radial arm saw?

Does anyone have this RAS? I am thinking about upgrading my current saw to this one and would like to get some opinions. My two main considerations are max width cut (which is 16” from what Delta says) and how it maintains alignment.

My current RAS only has a 13” cut. It holds its settings pretty well but could probably be improved upon. I have had this saw for about 15 years.

My main usage is for cut offs and dados. I almost never move it off of 90 degrees. I have a compound miter saw (Dewalt DW705) and a sliding table on the Unisaw for angle cuts.

I have looked for “old iron” for a while to no avail. I am going to Atlanta on business at the end of the month and I've thought about going by Redmonds and picking up a refirb unit.

The Delta RS830 looks like an older Dewalt design. Do you all think this saw is any good? Would it be an improvement over my current RAS? The Delta 12 inch model seems sturdier however it 1. costs a lot more and 2. has less cross cut capacity. I dont really care for the position of the depth of cut control crank on the new Delta but the rest of it looks nice. I have not seen this saw in person yet, only photos on the net. Here are pics of the new saw and of my saw.

<O</O
    <OThanks,
    Frankie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 08-14-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Frankie
    Its just my 2 cents but I went from a Craftsman to a DELTA ( old) as well. The one thing I really hate about that DELTA is the top mounted height adjustment. I'm thinking of getting another saw just because of that. On the old craftsman I could sight along the table and adjust the blade perfectly using the front mounted elevation crank. You might want to really want to consider a front height adjust saw.

Good Luck

Neal

http://www.vmtw.com/shop/Tools_from_shop.htm
    I have two RAS's for sale (see above) if interested.
    Scott

Out of courisity I checked one of my 12" Craftsman RAS's for cut length, 15-3/8".
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Thumbs down Delta RAS

Frank, I have a new 12'' delta Industrial RAS that i am not at all satisfied with the accuracy, its terrible. It was purchased for this shop before I took over I would not purchase one for myself NO-WAY!!! (personal opinion) for reference mine is Delta # 438-02-314-2067 I cant even get a rep to come out and stand up for this product.

Hi Frank. Couldn't you just make the rear portion of the table narrower? It looks like it is too wide and brings the fence too far forward of the blade. That would cause you to loose some cross cut capacity. Peter

The picture of the new Delta looks very similar to a sears 9 in. RAS I had many years ago. Moveved up to a sears 10 in. RAS and have been happy with it for 35 years.

Changed the table top to a bigger one and have worn out two stop/start switches.

From the pictures I would not change unless its up to an industrial quality saw.

Egon [ new to forum ]

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Flatley
    Frankie
    Its just my 2 cents but I went from a Craftsman to a DELTA ( old) as well. The one thing I really hate about that DELTA is the top mounted height adjustment. I'm thinking of getting another saw just because of that. On the old craftsman I could sight along the table and adjust the blade perfectly using the front mounted elevation crank. You might want to really want to consider a front height adjust saw.

Good Luck

Neal
    Hey Neal - welcome to SMC and a great start - chiming in with hands-on experience. Way to go!

Rob

Yes, I think Peter has hit on it. On my saws there is a strip of wood between the fence strip and the main table top. This piece is thinner than the table top material to allow sawdust some room to prevent it from packing in the corner/edge of the fence thus preventing a good tight fit between the fence and the piece to be cut. I don't see such a strip on your saw - did you maybe remove it to accommodate your dust pickup?

BTW, WELCOM to the new guys posting in this thread.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

There is one for sale in the SMC classifieds "as we speak"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon
    Hi Frank. Couldn't you just make the rear portion of the table narrower? It looks like it is too wide and brings the fence too far forward of the blade. That would cause you to loose some cross cut capacity. Peter
    Hey Peter,
    Yes, I could move the fence back. In fact there is a filler strip immediatly behind the fence that is used just for that. The filler strip is about 2 inches in width. You can see the line/crack between it and the rear most piece in this photo. I can gain a little less than 2 inches by moving it, but the blade is too close to the work piece. If I'm cutting 3/4" stock its kinda ok, however anything else and its not good. Yes, I could very easily rip another smaller filler strip but just felt it wasn't quite worth the minimal effort it would require for the gain recieved.

I have upgraded some of my tools this past year or two and this one was on my todo list. I could swap my current RAS for the Delta refirb one for around $250, so I was wondering if it would be worth it or not. Its not that this is a bad saw but I was hoping to get a better one at an attractive price.

I have drooled over the Original Saw Company's RAS, but I would put a mm16 bandsaw ahead of that. I dont have a shaper either, however I haven't really been held back by a lack of one.

Now if I could just find a way to get that Scott Loven to take a road trip to Virginia I might have a deal brewing on some old iron.

Jim, I saw the one in the classifieds however it is way too far away to go get.

Neal, welcome aboard. I too thought that top mounted control was not in the optimal place.

Thanks for all the input! Any futher suggestions or comments are welcomed!

Frankie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 08-16-2005 at 9:31 AM.

I have been out there twice this year allready! I have family on both sides in MD. I used to work in Reston, and spent about 17 years in the DC Metro area, and another 4 in VA Beach when I was in the Navy. I would love to move back to VA or NC, but not to Metro DC, to much traffic!