Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decorative Bowls - My Pyromaniac side got the best of me

Decorative Bowls - My Pyromaniac side got the best of me

I had some Aspen bowls laying around here for a while that were plain looking, not really any color, knots, or markings, kind of white looking plain jane. So I thought it was a good excuse to get the torch out, wood burner, and some other texturing tools and dress them up a bit. I'm pleased with the torching and coloring, but I have to admit, this is a tricky process and made a mistake on the one with green leaves. I stayed on it too long, over heated and it shrank a bit on the edge. OK, lesson learned, torch a bit, then let it cool, then do follow ups if needed. Keep that torch moving too like your painting with a spray can. It was fun trying something new and different.

bowl-7.jpgbowl-7-2.jpgbowl-4.jpgbowl-4-2.jpgbowl-6.jpg

Bowl #1 - Textured inside and rim, gold tipped inside, carved outer edge with foredom carver tool, torch burned and finished in spray lacquer.
    Bowl #2 - Wood burned leaves, airbrushed transparent med. green for color, torch burned and finished in spray lacquer.
    Bowl #3 - This is more of a plate than bowl. Sorby texture tool on edge, pyroed Monarch butterfly, airbrushed a little brown mahogany coloring on butterfly and outer edge.

Those are great! I can't decide which one I like the best. OK, I guess I like the leaf bowl the best. But there are details of all of them that catch my eye. How big are they?

Very nice work on the turning, enhancements and photos.

All lovely, I have a new respect for aspen. Like number 1 the most just because it seems more formal and ,at least in that photo , has an interesting effect going on that lets it look alternately like inside of bowl and outside.

Beautiful! I love the butterfly and the leaves. Not so much the geometric center in the first bowl. Great treatments.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

All those are nice pieces. But, I like the one with the leaves the best. Great work.

Wow Steve, those are awesome!! The torch and airbrush really added to an otherwise plain piece of wood.
    The butterfly is my favorite.

All very nice and creative. I like the butterfly best.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Looks like blue ribbon territory to me. Fantastic piece Steve.

10. All nice, but I settle for the 2nd and 4th .... didnīt you have any issues with cracking while burning the Wood ?

Blog Entries
    Very nice never tried burning but after seeing those may put it on my bucket list.
    What did you use as a finish? Nice job

Thanks all for the very nice compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dupras View Post
    Those are great! I can't decide which one I like the best. OK, I guess I like the leaf bowl the best. But there are details of all of them that catch my eye. How big are they?
    Sorry I left that out and they are at my shop in town. Green leaves is the largest at about 12 inch. First bowl 9, maybe 10 inch, and butterfly is small, around 7 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson lasaosa View Post
    All nice, but I settle for the 2nd and 4th .... didnīt you have any issues with cracking while burning the Wood ?
    No cracking, but I did damage the edge of the green leaf one and it left a dented spot. Too much heat as once. Aspen is pretty forgiving wood too and these are my first attempts at torching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tilley View Post
    Very nice never tried burning but after seeing those may put it on my bucket list.
    What did you use as a finish? Nice job
    I used spray lacquer on all of these and most of my projects. I'm just starting to use other finishes too, like tung oil, linseed oil, just to try other things.

Blog Entries
    I really like the butterfly platter

All are amazing. I like the leaves and butterfly. I wish I had those skills.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I like color, so the bold green is neat..and i luv that butterfly!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe