Thread: Matzilla

Matzilla

I note that Tractor Supply now has their Thick Rubber Stall Mat on sale for about thirty five bucks. I’ve had one of these big boys between my bench and set up table for several years now and, I promise you, any other mat you’ve ever seen is insubstantial by comparison.

This thing is 4’ x 6’ by ¾”, seems to be made out of the same rubber as truck tires, and weighs about as much as a year old heifer. You couldn’t hurt it with a backhoe. If you should drop a chisel on it the mat will just shrug it off, and it will certainly save you some grinding.

If you decide to get one I would suggest leaving it out in the sun for a few days before bringing it into your shop. Mine initially smelled like something that had crawled up out of the La Brea Tar Pits but after a good airing out has no lingering odor. Anyhow, it’s a lot of foot relief for the money and you'll never wear one out.
    Last edited by Howard Skillington; 06-15-2015 at 7:59 AM.

Thanks for the timely heads up Howard.
    I've been needing to park one of these in front of my midi lathe for some time now.

Also, thank you for jogging my memory of past visits to that stinky museum on Wilshire.
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

I was at Rural King and saw they had the mats like that on rolls you buy by the foot. They had 3 different thickness rolls. I had bought one from TSC and wish I had waited and bought from Rural King as I would like just a little longer.

That would be very different from the mat I'm talking about. Godzilla couldn't roll this mat - it's much too heavy and stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I was at Rural King and saw they had the mats like that on rolls you buy by the foot. They had 3 different thickness rolls. I had bought one from TSC and wish I had waited and bought from Rural King as I would like just a little longer.
    I don't think those are stall mats, at least not the ones I'm familiar with.
    A 3/4", 4'x6', stall mat, weighs close to one hundred lbs. There are lighter ones that are ribbed, or have holes molded into them. They're not for use in the stall, per-se, but still pretty robust. Generally they are in wash stalls and in common aisles.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've got several of those in my shop and really like them. The only complaint I have is square edge is somewhat of a trip hazard. Has anybody tried putting a beveled edge on them?

Good point, Bill. I have mine where I'm not likely to trip on that edge, but I can't imagine what it would take to cut or grind a bevel on this material.

One idea: you could bevel strips of hardwood, staple them to strips of metal flashing, and slip the flashing under the - yes, nearly hundred pound mat.

I expect the weight of the mat would keep these edges in place.

Or, you could grind a 3/4" deep recess into your cement...

Bill

Yes they can be beveled. A circular saw puts a really nice edge on one. ( I'm referring to actual stall mats.)
    Much quicker and easier than using a razor knife.
    I forget which blade we used, but it was nothing special. Probably the one that just happened to be on the saw.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-15-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Skillington View Post
    That would be very different from the mat I'm talking about. Godzilla couldn't roll this mat - it's much too heavy and stiff.
    The ones I saw were the same as the horse mat that I bought from TSC they are listed as horse mats also.

We've had those exact ones in the wash stall in our barn for over 20 years, and they're still in good shape. There's no counting how many hundreds of times horses have been on them with and without shoes. Big C-clamps as handles work well for moving them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We've had those exact ones in the wash stall in our barn for over 20 years, and they're still in good shape. There's no counting how many hundreds of times horses have been on them with and without shoes. Big C-clamps as handles work well for moving them around.
    Tom
    The past few years I've only seen the lighter weigh stall mats, not nearly as heavy as the ones we installed 25 years ago.
    They're still pretty rugged though and would work in shop type environment. The models with the "ribs molded into them might be nice for foot fatique. For an actual stall mat those ribs collect "nastiness", and have to be periodically removed and hit with a power sprayer. They can really start to reek.

PS
    Are you active on COTH??
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Yes. Active on COTH for years. Our mats are almost smooth on one side, and a slight texture on the other side. I think they change the surface patterns every few years, but haven't looked at them in TSC for a good while. We don't use them anywhere but in the wash stall. Our horses only come into their stalls to be fed, or in case of severe weather anyway.

Site seems to be down now. Is this the correct link www.tractorsupply.com ?

I bought 3 a couple years ago and don't like them. I keep tripping over them and they are not particularly soft.
    I can see they would be great for horses and last forever.