Thread: Leigh D4R Dovetail Jig Recs?

Leigh D4R Dovetail Jig Recs?

Hi. I'm currently using the Porter Cable 4216 dovetail jig but would like to cut through dovetails on stock thicker than 3/4" which the PC cannot do because of the router bit size limitations. Yeah, I could cut them by hand (and am capable), but I have a lot of dovies to cut and would rather use the jig and router. The Leigh D4R jig will handle thicker stock and is also capable of wider boards than the PC jig is. Anyone use the D4R and like it, don't like it etc? How's the dust collection accessory? Thanks for the advice -

I have one and it will do almost everything. It makes all types of dovetails and spacing. I also have the finger joint template and a full set of router bits and such.

It does take some time to learn to use so do not be surprised. There are a lot of good YouTube videos that show how to use it.

It does a lot but a big investment in time and dollars.

Love mine for thru and half blind dovetails.

ONce you get the Leigh dialed in, it is a beast. Should last generations.

With the special DC attachment, from what I recall, the DC is good. Not perfect-you have to leave lots of space for the router to travel in and out. Probably, though, with a good shop vac, you'll get most of the really fine stuff that is capable of doing you harm (Less than 5 microns).

FWIW-I run an overhead Jet room Dust filter when doing anything with machines, during and few minutes after.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I've had mine for years. It works as advertised and great for variable spaced DT's. I was glad when they came out with the DC addon. It works great. Not perfect but a big big improvement and I'd recommend getting it.

It takes a few runs to dial it in but perfect after that. I just cut my drawer sides long. If you keep your drawer sides consistent thicknesses, keep some setup blocks to speed that along.

I have an older D3(?) model and love it. There is a learning curve but with a little practice you can bag out some nice dovetails. Great jigs.

Red
    RED