Thread: kitchen cabinets - the fun has started.....

kitchen cabinets - the fun has started.....

So over the past year I have asked many questions, so thanks to all that helped for that part. I have also built some smaller projects, shop cabinets, a couple bathroom vanities, all in prep to start this build. A few weekends ago I got the material, got the shop organized, machines all tuned up, and started cranking out cabinets....

Some picks below of the process.....Again, thanks to all that helped along the way to get me started. I went to school for this 20 years ago, and always wanted back in, and my life, career and wife let me back in....

Just a few picks I grabbed.....breaking down the large sheets in my garage, and final trimming them in the shop with a large sled. Built the two "end cabinets" with side panels complete, I'll mask off the pre-finished plywood when I paint them - which leads me to the ultimate decision whether I use Cabinet Coat or Pro Classic, both have given me great results and the few projects I built I used each, and both are holding up, but I think Cabinet Coat cured just a bit harder.

I built these complete to get a better fit and finish between the face frame and end panel.

Built the two corner lazy susans and thanks for the tip on Korner King!!

Also, I originally design the base cabinets, which are all complete, to just have the face frame pocket screwed on from the back with glue. Even at 34 1/2", the plywood wasn't perfectly flat. I think for my uppers, but especially the wall oven, frig and pantry cabinets, I might change the drawings to have a dado for the long panel of the sides to dado into the face frame. I think this will definitively help with alignment.

Anyways, just some picks of my progress, and I am sure I will still have a few more questions along the way.....

THX
    JJ in Pittsburgh

20150601_170312.jpeg20150602_200221.jpeg20150608_174124.jpeg20150602_200249.jpeg20150615_185921.jpeg20150611_164726.jpeg20150530_121819.jpeg

Looking good btw nice Kiln!

Looks good. Couple of questions....

I see you are using pocket hole screws to attach the face frames, how did you attach the bottoms to the sides of the cabinets?

Interesting idea for the corner cabinets roll out shelves? Why not a lazy susan? Like to see detail of how the build, how the roll out shelves slides are installed.

I did a vanity and used pocket hole screws to attach the sides of the cabinets to the bottoms. I built boxes and set them on a pre-built platform to create the toe kick. It was between two walls so a finished end was not needed.

Great build. Keep sharing pics of progress.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I see you are using pocket hole screws to attach the face frames, how did you attach the bottoms to the sides of the cabinets?

The sides have dado's, and I used pocket screws from the underside of the bottom.

Interesting idea for the corner cabinets roll out shelves? Why not a lazy susan? Like to see detail of how the build, how the roll out shelves slides are installed.

With the side wings, the shelves and the drawers give just about the same space...This pic only shows the lower wing installed, I just put it in to make sure the unit spun....Korner king has some good pics, I modified the dimensions to fit my build.

20150615_181700.jpeg

Thanks for the response Justin. The Korner King looks like a good system.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Looking good. I do enjoy following works in progress like this. Keep up the pics.

Red
    RED

Looking good! I'll be following along eagerly as I'm about to start a large kitchen at my parents' house.