Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite quotes

"
    there are people dying now that never died before"
    Henry Alexanderson, My wife's grandfather.

When talking about the stupidity of people in society; "You must always remember that half the population has an IQ of less than 100." ~ attributed to one of my college professors

"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental disaster, you need people with high IQs." ~ Thomas Sowell

Blog Entries
    From my dad 50 years ago: "Honesty is the best politics" so true it can't be original. I Googled it; 1933 Laurel and Hardy Movie, Sons of the Desert. Which reminded me one that often applies to my predicaments: "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into."

And my favorite: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Attributed most commonly to Edmund Burke.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Along with, "hey come look what I can do!"

jtk
    I thought it was along with "Hold my beer..."

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

- Harlan Ellison
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 06-22-2015 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Supply author

You guys must be up North. Everyone down here knows, it's "Hey Y'all, watch this"
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You guys must be up North. Everyone down here knows, it's "Hey Y'all, watch this"
    You're killin me Scott. I just spat coffee all over the monitor. I got a flashback to a news story a few years ago about two drunk guys in Georgia playing catch with a live rattlesnake. One of them was quoted as saying exactly that!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My favorite line from employee reviews;

"Some where a village is missing their idiot, and we found him.'

"GET OFF MY LAWN !!! "
    -Clint Eastwood

Blog Entries
    My favorite line from employee reviews;
    "The knowledge he brings to this job has the depth of a parking lot puddle."

Or when a person calling a former employer asking about a prospective applicant hears, "if you can get him to work for you, you will be most fortunate." It usually means this applicant's paperwork should be placed in the circular file, aka waste basket.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Almost forgot one of my all time favorites:

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

―Saint Francis of Assisi
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My favorite quote that's told to newcomers trying to stay sober.
    Hang around the barbershop long enough your bound to get a hair cut!

Blog Entries
    Some of my favorite quotes:

"Lead, follow or get out of the way." Thomas Paine

But of the best leaders, when the job is done, the task accomplished, the people will say,
    “We have done this ourselves.” Lao-Tzu

"You win some, you lose some, some are rained out and others your can't even get tickets for." My Dad
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Many answers to modern problems could come from COMBINING old ones with new ones. Just thought of one! "Global warming threatens us,....give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I will move the earth!"

….”But when it comes to the genuine object,
    something of such undeniable value that a man
    wants to have it always with him – the
    perfection of form announces that it is from the
    hand of a master.”

Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji,
    first quarter of the 11th century
    E.G. Seidensticker, translater, 1987.

ron