Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 16" jointer?

The Suva Guard folds down so it's out of the way when you aren't using the full length of it.

As a matter of fact, Casadei has an excellent reputation! I grew up near the original pre-EMA US distributor (Byrnes Company) and used a fair number of their machines before I had my own shop. Always impressed with the build quality and mass of the machinery. The one in the photo above looks very clean.

Also a newer 1980s-era machine is also less likely to have Babbit metal bearings and has almost certainly had less wear in general. You'd probably want to see each in-person though.

I've been looking at both types on the net and really like what I see. I'm partial to cast iron base jointers and the Tersa head on a cast iron base is very rare to find. Peter is correct though that condition is most important. Look at the tables and put a good straight edge across the width. If the tables are planed, look to see the lines go all the way across and you will see where the wear is. Look at the frame size on the motor. Older Euro motors will have a larger frame size. Big deal if buying used Euro and the newer small frame motors are expensive to rewind compared to large. I think the Wotan runs at about 5500 rpm which means the head has to be balanced well. There should be no vibration at all when either runs. Look for a segmented gaurd as they were often used. Some look kind of like the SUVA in the video, others look like a porkchop only segmented. My favorite. The more I look, the more I like. I have a Porter or I'd be all over that Wotan. Dave

PS No jointer built after about 1930 will have babbitt bearings. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Peter, that looks like a real good guard. Only thing is it sticks out on the side where I would walk with the board past the cutter.
    With a wide jointer surface, there's no need to have the fence "forward" and a properly fitted Euro guard will not be sticking out and in your way. The guard should be sized appropriate for the width of the jointer bed. For example, my J/P has a full width cut of 350mm (~13.65") and my guard is just wide enough to cover that fully with the fence all the way to the back of the machine. I never use the fence when face jointing and quite often skew the material slightly to the cutter head, too. (I have Tersa knives)

On the jointer choice, I'd probably select that EMA over the older machine because it's newer.

Now...I just saw your thread about getting a wide planer, too. You may want to consider a 16" J/P to cover both functions and in a more compact space as long as you can accept 16" width for both functions.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-21-2015 at 9:41 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

SUVA guards are great, I had one on my Inca. With wide stock (arguably the most difficult to manage), the SUVA doesn't extend past the jointer at all, but the pork chop sure does once the stock is past the cutterhead.

EMA was a Canadian company??? Huh, that I did not know.

I do however have an EMA jointer made in Italy and as mentioned basically a poor mans Casadei/SCM. They're good well made machines just not as polished and precise as their more expensive cousins. I like European machines in general and it's no exception…..would certainly trade it if a Martin came available for less than the cost of a new car, but it does it's job. The other maker I have no knowledge of at all. I also like German machines, but just haven't heard of them.

good luck,
    JeffD

I bought the EMA 16" jointer for $3,800 and the seller threw in an Excalibur sliding table attachment for my Unisaw. Pretty happy with the jointer - thank you all for your opinions. They help a lot when it comes to spending that kind of money!

Another nice machine! Congrats

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    EMA was a Canadian company??? Huh, that I did not know.

I do however have an EMA jointer made in Italy and as mentioned basically a poor mans Casadei/SCM. They're good well made machines just not as polished and precise as their more expensive cousins. I like European machines in general and it's no exception…..would certainly trade it if a Martin came available for less than the cost of a new car, but it does it's job. The other maker I have no knowledge of at all. I also like German machines, but just haven't heard of them.

good luck,
    JeffD
    I believe EMA was a holding company based in Montreal and production was still done at the original Casadei Macchine factory in Rimini (some machines are actually badged with both "EMA" and "MC"). EMA folded in the 90s and Casadei was eventually sold off to Busellato which was had been bought out by SCMI.

Prior to all that, some family members left and founded Casadei Industria as well so there's actually two separate Casadei machinery companies out there...