Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0715P VS G0690/G1023RL/G0691/G1023RLX Table Saws

Grizzly G0715P VS G0690/G1023RL/G0691/G1023RLX Table Saws

I was wondering if anyone had any information on these saws? I have been comparing them, but I am finding that it is a difficult task. Obviously, I want to get the right thing to begin with... I spoke with a Sales Rep at Grizzly and a Technical Support Rep. The Sales Rep couldn't really tell me anything I couldn't find out from Grizzly.com. The Technical Support Rep just said he would overwhelmingly choose the G1023RL. He didn't really use Technical Facts to explain this opinion though... I have heard that the Taiwanese Table Saws are better than the Chinese Table Saws, so based on that, you would want the G1023RL. Another factor I thought about is longer rails for plywood. I found that the extension rails you can buy afterward are around $300, so that minimizes the price difference between the G0715P and the G0691/G1023RLX. If anyone has any help they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it. Help! Haha. Thanks!

The G0715P is a hybrid saw with much lighter duty table mounted trunnions, and a smaller motor. The G1023 and G0690 are industrial style cabinet saws with cabinet mounted trunnions, and 3hp motors. If you have 220v, and the price doesn't deter you, the two cabinet saws are considerably more substantial saws. Between those twos, it's more of a toss up, but I like the updated design of the 1023...vertical dovetail ways, serpentine belt, etc. The suffixes just indicate feature variations.

G1023RL:

G0690:

Older Griz hybrid that's closer to the G0715P:
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Welcome to the Creek.
    If you are already considering a cabinet saw, I wouldn't even be looking at the Hybrid G0715P. Table mounted trunnions are a pain to adjust. The decision between the 690 and the 1023 is not that easy. It is a matter of personal taste. There tons of threads on here in the last 3 years comparing the 690 and the 1023. Both are very well liked. I have the 1023 and I am very happy with it. As far as the rail length is concerned there are several ways to skin a cat. Some people shift the existing rails to the right to pick up about 10" of additional rip. I went from a 52" rip on my old saw down to the 26" rip and shifted the rail to the right and added a JessEm slider. I also have a Tracksaw. I am tired of humping full sheets fo 3/4" mdf and plywood onto the tablesaw. If you have any specific questions about the 1023, let me know. Cary

have you tried the comparison feature on the grizzly website:

http://www.grizzly.com/compare?category=Table_Saws

Yes, I have used the comparison feature, but it doesn't really outline the finite differences unfortunately.

Definitely go with a true cabinet saw if it's part of your considerations, and it sounds like it is. I went with the G0690 but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either cabinet saw. As far as I can tell the biggest differences are in the trunnions, dust collection (G1023RL has a connection to the blade shroud, 0690 does not) and fences. I can tell you that the fence for the 0690 is highly adjustable and stout. I'm not sure how effective the dust shroud on the G1023RL would be. Either way, since they are cabinet saws, as long as you have sufficient cfm out of the cabinet, I think dust collection will be as good as it can be without over-blade collection. The 0690 also has a Leeson motor which may weigh on your decision.

One more thing to mention and you could probably do the same on the G1023RL but I can only speak to the G0690. I moved the fence rails over one bolt hole to gain another ~7" of rip capacity. This puts the total rip capacity over 36" which has come in handy several times already. Just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck!

Yes, definitely the 1023R or 690/691. I have the 691 and have helped set up, not used, a 1023R. Both are nice. I like the Leeson designed motor and the dust hook up that is on a separate door and on the right side of the saw. Those two things keep me sold on the 691. The 1023R with the newly designed trunnion and the dust chute are nice. Combine the two and it would be killer!!! As far as cutting wood on the two saws, I don't think you would see a difference. Pick your poison and enjoy! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Yes, definitely the 1023R or 690/691. I have the 691 and have helped set up, not used, a 1023R. Both are nice. I like the Leeson designed motor and the dust hook up that is on a separate door and on the right side of the saw. Those two things keep me sold on the 691. The 1023R with the newly designed trunnion and the dust chute are nice. Combine the two and it would be killer!!! As far as cutting wood on the two saws, I don't think you would see a difference. Pick your poison and enjoy! Jim.
    Jim,

I agree 100% with you, I have the 690 and its fantastic! - if there could only be a dust collection shroud, it would be perfect.

I think the G0690 has easy and quick height adjustment than G0715P .

So, if the G1023RL has the dust collection shroud, then why not get the G1023RL?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stong View Post
    So, if the G1023RL has the dust collection shroud, then why not get the G1023RL?
    I think some prefer the location of the dust port on the 0690/0691 as well as the Leeson motor. The fence is a little different as well. And maybe it has something to do with the color. I've been trying to decide between these same models. As a hobbyist I couldn't see paying the extra money to step up from the 0715P to the 3HP variants even though I saw the benefits of doing so. So I was set on purchasing the 0715P once I had some additional funds saved. I then ran across a used 1023SL and plan on picking that up this weekend. I would have a tough time deciding between the 3HP variants, but I don't think any of them would be the "wrong" choice.

I talked to a guy a few weeks ago who had sold a 690, said it was not even close to as good a cabinet saw as the 1023.

So, what were the things about the G0690 that the guy said were bad?

Hi Jim,
    I have been paining over the small differences between the G0691 and the G1023RLX. I am specifically looking for a saw with 50+ inch rip capacity and the wrap-around design of the fence on the G0690/1 appears to be a superior design over the Shop Fox Classic fence included with the G1023RL/RLX. While I have not been able to see one in person, I have assumed that making minor adjustments side to side on the fence would be more accurate with the wrap-around design of the G0691 fence because the fence is sort of surrounded on the front, top and back of the fence rail with the nylon slides. Whereas the Shop Fox Classic fence is only held in place on the front and top when the lever is released. So can you tell me if you have experienced any "slop" in making side-to-side adjustments that would cause the fence to twist left to right resulting in lost accuracy???

Thank you very much!

Given the choice and budget, I would go for the G0691 or G1023RLX, simply for the sturdy build and more power. I have the 0715 that I got to compliment my sliding saw, mostly for joinery cuts/dadoes/grooves/etc. Got it for a good price/nearly new, but it has done all that was asked of it.