Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please don't laugh...

Please don't laugh...

My wife wants me to make one of these (see pic). Of a truth, this is NOT "fine furniture". However...it is what she wants. *sigh*

Anyway...believe it or not, I am having trouble wrapping my head around how to mount the arm. I'm not real crazy (to begin with) about the pitiful design of the "Y" arm anyway. It just SCREAMS "break me"...

Well, I was planning on running a dowel for a hinge. But I cannot figure out how to drill through it all. Any ideas???

wares20b.jpg
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    I can't help you with that. I don't even know what it would be used for. Just try to make Mama happy.

Harold,
    Several months ago, your grand-daughter was having some health problems. How is she doing?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

The dowel doesn't have to go all the way through, right? What about two dowels, one from the bottom, one from the top? Just have to make damn sure they are co-linear or it will bind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    The dowel doesn't have to go all the way through, right? What about two dowels, one from the bottom, one from the top? Just have to make damn sure they are co-linear or it will bind.
    Yep. And I think the fork could be crafted out of a piece of plywood, should be very strong.

Looks interesting. What is it? I am curious what that is used for.

Harold

Is your wife a horsewoman? because that looks suspiciously like a fold away saddle rack.

You're looking at a specialty bit, and extension for that length, but they make them, and usually Lowes and Home Depot have them on hand. Irwin makes a 1/2" that will will do that.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-22-2015 at 5:55 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Yeah, use two dowels and note the washers and the gap they create, you'll need them too, to keep it from splintering the sides when swinging the Y under load. I'm wondering what it was used for too. The little notch on the right end tells me it had a special purpose.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would build it like a timber frame. That would require a vertical member to tenon the horizontal and diagonal members to. You would only have to drill holes on the top and bottom horizontals then.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 06-22-2015 at 5:56 PM.
    Paul

Definately two dowels and modify the design to suit your level of expertise. That is make the individual elements and joinery as cool and unique as possible to show off your skillset.

Way before I used an aircraft bit to drill the hole through the whole thing or got one of those extra long brad point bits from Lee Valley, then cut a piece of brass rod to act as the dowel, I'd pay the person who made the one in the picture the $29.95 they are asking and get back to doing what you like.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post

Ding, ding, ding . . . we have a winner. that's what I would do. I assume this is a plant hanger or some such(?)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Way before I used an aircraft bit to drill the hole through the whole thing or got one of those extra long brad point bits from Lee Valley, then cut a piece of brass rod to act as the dowel, I'd pay the person who made the one in the picture the $29.95 they are asking and get back to doing what you like.
    I agree with Peter.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

There's nothing to laugh at. I make fine furniture for a living, and yet 60% of my revenue is from "low end" stuff like this. Not to mention - a happy wife equates to a happy home, just do it for her.

There have been some good ideas regarding the specifics of your problem - personally, I'd go with either two brass rods (one from the top, and one from the bottom), or two dowels the same way - and I'd make sure that I paid attention to the washers in the original. OR, I'd spend the $29.95 someone else suggested.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Another option is to make it in sections, drilling separately (just make sure all the holes are in line) then reassemble with a spline in the back. You may decide to use a threaded rod or rods instead of dowels.

If it is a plant hanger, you might as well gear up, because she is gonna want another dozen for Christmas.

Reminds me of the rocking horse for our first grand kid. Had to build 18 before it was over.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.