Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please don't laugh...

Harold, when I make things with wood hinges I don't drill all the way through, I drill from both ends............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Harold, when I make things with wood hinges I don't drill all the way through, I drill from both ends............Rod.
    Yeah. Literally, as soon as I posted this thread and asked the question, I thought of that. I almost took it down.

It was one of those "DOH!" moments.

As far as what this thing is for, well...it is for her primitive décor. It is a "towel rack".

DSC04971 (1024x768).jpg
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    My wife wants me to make one of these (see pic). Of a truth, this is NOT "fine furniture". However...it is what she wants. *sigh*

Anyway...believe it or not, I am having trouble wrapping my head around how to mount the arm. I'm not real crazy (to begin with) about the pitiful design of the "Y" arm anyway. It just SCREAMS "break me"...

Well, I was planning on running a dowel for a hinge. But I cannot figure out how to drill through it all. Any ideas???

Attachment 316030
    I'd use a steel hing, like a piece of coat hanger. The drilling is the easy part. Start with your stock all square. Get a long drill bit (assuming you have a drill press). Drill in both pieces while rough and square. I'd then run it through a router table and round over both edges with a 3/4 roundover or something similar. Then I'd cut the wedge out of the rack pice to form the "Y" and then hold that on the mating piece mark it and cut out the pieces. Finish then drive the rod thorugh both pices putting a little candle wax on the bottoms of the base where it will rub. Or, if you have any thin plastic shim material, cut a couple pices to keep it from rubbing wood-on-wood. The project should take a couple hours to cut and an afternoon to finish.

Good luck.

What kind of wood workers are y'all anyhow???

Everyone knows that a special project is plenty of reason to justify buying a new tool!!

(hint) - if you had a horizontal boring machine, we wouldn't be having this discussion!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

What Rich is trying to say is...........Shopsmith!!!
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Depends on the thickness of the wood but you might laminating the pieces and put a dado where the hole will go. That should help the drill bit from wandering. A long electricians bit will drill this far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Depends on the thickness of the wood but you might laminating the pieces and put a dado where the hole will go. That should help the drill bit from wandering. A long electricians bit will drill this far.
    Yeah...I thought about the whole laminating thing. I still might, though it might be a tad more time and effort than I want to give to such a "boring" project. *snicker*
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.