Thread: Belts: Changing from 4L to banded VX

Belts: Changing from 4L to banded VX

I need both new belts and a new motor pulley for my PM 100 planer. (I bought it with the wrong sized pulley)

The stock setup is a 2AK41 pulley with two 4L belts. After much reading, I think that VX belts are the way to go, esp because of the very small diameter motor pulley, and a Goodyear BANDED VX belt sounds even better, as that eliminates any matching issues.

OK, but how does one determine the correct replacement setup?
    ------------------------------------------------

First - VX belts come in 3/8" and 5/8" diameter (measured across the top / widest part.) Am I correct in assuming that to replace a 1/2 diameter 4L belt, one would choose the 5/8" diameter?

- but if I get a banded belt, would the two "V" sections still align in my pulley? If not, should I get a different pulley? (I need to buy a pulley anyway, though this would mean also replacing the arbor pulley.) - Or am I stuck using two matched regular VX belts?

------------

Second - How does changing from 4L to VX affect the effective pulley ratio / spindle speed?

For instance, My PM100 uses a 2AK41 pulley, which has an O.D. of 3.95", but the 4L belts only see an effective diameter ( known as "pitch" yes? ) of 3.7"

I think (not sure) that "A" belts, which of course can be used on such a pulley, effectively see the full 3.95". This is correct, yes? OK, but what about a 5/8" (or 3/8") VX belt? Once again, do I need a different pulley (s) to maintain the correct spindle speed?

I hate to say this but, you're chasing your tail.

Changing from A belts to VX will do nothing for you other than waste your money.

You'll have to buy different sheaves to fit the VX profile belts, yup VX belts are a different profile and the angle of the V-groove is different.

the small difference you are seeing in the sheaves you reference is so small it won't make a difference in performance for your machine, your probably losing more RPMs with voltage variances than with your difference in Pitch Diameters.

Don't worry about matching belts either, you won't find match numbers on any modern made belts. The company's that make belts have tightened their manufacturing specs and match numbers no longer exist.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I would just go to cogged AX belts, they interchange with 4L.
    JR