Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Spindle Sander - Thinking of Buying

Rigid Spindle Sander - Thinking of Buying

What are your thoughts on this Rigid Spindle Sander. I have never seen on that is not orange. Could this be an older model?

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/5073342556.html

It is not far from me.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've had one for almost 10 yrs and really like it. My only complaint is that the dust collection is marginal.

I think all the Ridgid stuff was gray and then they changed it to the orange some years ago.

I have one and it gets used all the time, I use the belt more then the spindle but that is just the projects I do.

As was stated the dust collection is not the best, there are things you can do to help it but it is still a great sander to have.

I think I considered buying that same sander George! It's on my list of tools to buy for sure. I assumed the gray is an older model, but that one looks like new.

Blog Entries
    Yes, older model. Yes, they're great. Like Bill, I found I used the belt much more than the spindle. I did the DC mods which helped.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree w/ everything said. I sometimes even will use the sandpaper-wrapped spindles for hand-sanding operations.

I use the thing a ton, for metal-working projects as well as wood.

If he doesn't have the belt sander part of it I'd offer him $50.
    Just my opinion............

That one is an early version. I have one that is first year orange, and use it constantly in a semi-professional capacity. Mine is almost always set up with the belt as opposed to the spindle. If it were to break, I would buy another with no hesitation. Only complaint is the dust collection isn't great.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I have the orange model, and it appears to be identical. For the price, it is a ridiculously useful unit. If you find it in good working order, I'd buy it. As mentioned, the dust collection is poor, and it does create a lot of dust. I built a dust collection hood for the edge sanding attachment out of cardboard and in about 20 minutes, including fine tuning, my shop vac was collecting all visible dust. Some really good ideas may be found in this thread. So far, I dont use the spindle sander mode too often, but I think the best DC method would be to suspend a hose directly over the spindle, adjusting it ot keep it close to the work.

'Cuz everyone likes pictures, here's what I did;

2014-06-26 14.08.57_800px.jpg
    2014-06-26 14.09.17_800px.jpg
    Last edited by Justin Meyer; 06-23-2015 at 9:53 AM. Reason: add pictures, fixed a word

Great sander, use mine all the time and have never had any problems

Lol, when I read "rigid spindle sander" I was thinking it didn't oscillate and I was going to not recommend it. As long as it works pretty well and it has all the parts there's hardly a down side. Isn't $85 about half the new price ?

If the lifetime warranty is still in effect you may ask the seller if you can "rent" it from him so the warranty is not lost.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 06-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Gray means an older one. Love my orange one....gray may even be better built, but that's just a guess.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Ridgid was Grey before it was Orange. I don't think there was any quality change with the color change. That being said. I am the only person I know that did not like it. I sold it and moved to the Jet 6"x89" OES and Grizzly 1071 OSS.

Love mine. Best $200.00 I've spent.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have one and love it. I put up two other stationary sanders to save space-cause this one does so great.

The DC is a little lame. But, Mine is just a few feet off the cyclone, so no problems.

Have never used the tilt table feature.

The up/down knob requires lots of attention seems like.

Buy it.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)