Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with building a slab coffee/end table

THose are cool.

We have some guys here that are more expert than I on drying lumber - maybe they will chime in - but in the UP climate, unheated storage, I gotta believe you are a couple years - at least - from dry to the point of "won't move much more".

I like the idea for a table base...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Cool pieces! What are you going to use for legs, or base?

The first couple we are just going to use hairpin legs. Those are for my sisters. Then we will start to get more creative for the base. I am sure I will look online to find something I like. Then the questions will come for how to do it right.

We have probably 30 slabs from the maple that fell. I wish I would have had some slabs cut long way, but I didn't know anyone that had a bandsaw big enough to do it. I would have loved to get a coffee table out of it. But there is another maple we have getting close to coming down that is even bigger then this one. So maybe by then I can find someone.

So would you use epoxy in order to bond the wood together and not crack further? It was suggested using brown caulk as well. Just trying to determine which to use. I am having a hard time finding black epoxy. I see stuff you can buy to mix with it. Was hoping to buy ready to use.
    Last edited by Charles Webber; 06-25-2015 at 5:30 PM.