Thread: Slow day at the Yard sales

Cool Slow day at the Yard sales

Not much out there this morning. Well, the other half did find a few things she wanted. As for me? Well, I did spend $0.50 for a day-old Newspaper so we could find all the sales going on...

Stopped at one of the few that listed any tools. Found this, and a Disston/HK Porter handsaw shaped object..
    D-23.jpg
    A Disston ( No Sons) D-23. Nothing bent, cracked, split, or missing...but wait, there is an even better side to this find..
    Price tag.jpg
    Nuff said.....

have clean most of the rust off of that Straight plate, and there is a faint etch. Teeth are even sharp!. have the handle cleaned up, brass is shined up. Awaiting the new finish to dry. Then maybe another picture IF anyone wants to see it. Yep, kind of a slow day.

Killed time at Aardvark's in Lincoln NE this morning. Found a no-name cast iron saw filing vise...all there, tight and aligned at the ends, $27. Also a Disston D-42 saw in nice condition, straight blade w/most of etch, some surface rust w/minimal pitting, undamaged mahogany handle missing most of finish, for another $5.99.

Well, after a little clean up..
    IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    And, it turns out that a screwdriver i got a couple weeks ago, was the perfect size for them brass bolts
    IMAG0156.jpg
    Although, the lettering on the ferrel on this screwdriver does say Millers Falls.....( now, somebody will show up and say "That ain't a Millers Falls No. XXX)

Remember, sale price for this saw was...FREE, my favourite four letter word.

Blog Entries
    Remember, sale price for this saw was...FREE, my favourite four letter word.
    Well here is another four letter word, YOU SUCK!!!

I also find it hard to resist FREE.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Steve,

+1 on what Jim said, and the restoration work spruced it up no end. Looks like it will be a good user. Good job! I especially like the color that the handle ended up with. Very nice finish job on the wood.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 06-26-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Something strange? Unless my tape measure is wrong..

Between two inch markers on the tape measure. with one marker on the tip/point of one tooth, there are only six points, total. Did Disston make a D-23 (according to the etch) as a 6ppi? Teeth are almost like a rip saw's

I thought the lowest they went, after 1928, was a 7 ppi. There is no "number stamp" on the heel back at the handle. Maybe a re-sharpening???

Plate lenght: 26"
    Toe Height: 1-3/8"
    Heel height:6-1/2"

Seller's Grandpa had bought it new, and might have used a few times.....

Quite likely resharpened a few times... nice find!