Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Kapex

Festool Kapex

Rather than go on FOG, I thought I'd ask this question here.

I have several Festool tools and love each one, but for the life of me, I can't see any reason to buy a Kapex miter saw at $1400. I currently have a Bosch CM10GD. The only advantage I see with the Kapex is the dust collection, which from the videos I've watched is clearly superior to the Bosch. Dust collection is important to me in my small shop, but logically, I can't make the case in my mind to trade "up".

I have no interest in making a large dust collection box in the back, the space in my workshop is very limited and the layout in my shop isn't conducive to a dust collection box (just trust me on that). However, I don't think the extra $700 for better dust collection is warranted. Putting aside any bias about Festool, can anyone tell me that the Kapex can do something different or better than the Bosch? I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the Kapex. Cost isn't a limitation for me, only the logical leap that better dust collection is worth $700 if that is the only thing it can do better than the Bosch.

I got mine for the small footprint and the dust collection. Other than that it is just a saw. I only got mine because Microsoft was inexplicably willing to pay for 35% of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I got mine for the small footprint and the dust collection. Other than that it is just a saw. I only got mine because Microsoft was inexplicably willing to pay for 35% of it.
    I've heard mixed reports on the dust collection, care to share your perspective on these?

I run a older, but very accurate, Hitachi C10FS which is probably close to twenty years old by now. Mostly use it for trimming to length, miters for small boxes, etc. The big bugaboo is dust collection. Last year, I seriously thought about replacing it with the Kapex because of better dust control and smaller footprint.

Went to the local tool suppliers three or four times and handled/examined the Kapex. Well made and compact saw, but the adjustments /ergonomics just did not feel comfortable to me. Now, it could be that this simply was the result of not being totally familiar with the saw. And other than dust collection, I did not see what the Kapex would do better than what the Hitachi now does.

If you have not done a hands-on of the Kapex, I seriously recommend doing so.

One more thing for improved/better dust collection, the salesman strongly advised purchasing the larger diameter hose than what I normally run on my Fe$Tool track saw and CT33E dust vac.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 06-27-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Well, I pre-ordered mine when they were first introduced. It has been in use flawlessly since. I will say that I have a good bit of green machines, and none were cheap. If budget is your overriding factor then I'd say no get a cheaper unit. However as the old saying goes, better to feel that sting ($$) in the beginning than over and over.

I use my festool tools in conjunction with my CT33/e DC and its just an awesome system. I really like how DC is at the heart of their design process not an afterthought.

When I got mine a good bit of selling features did not apply to me like the light weight and so forth as I don't go on a job site, so I don't get that benefit. However, the easy of dialing that bevel in is sweet. The quick change and setup and lock it and it stays there. Huge benefit as I can't stand fiddling The dual lasters are a nice add as well. Finally it's dead on every time. I have mine set up as a dedicated station with a shop vac attached on an automatic on/off switch so it fires when I turn the saw on.

Never has failed me, and the dc is off the charts. Again, not saying any others are bad as I have not owned or used the Hitachi. Looking back all the years I've had it, don't have a problem with buying it and I'd get it again. It ain't cheap, but then I've not found a cheap Festool tool.

Never had one fail on me either.

Good luck.

Microsoft was willing to pay 35%? Now that is something I want to know more about.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Well, I pre-ordered mine when they were first introduced. It has been in use flawlessly since. I will say that I have a good bit of green machines, and none were cheap. If budget is your overriding factor then I'd say no get a cheaper unit. However as the old saying goes, better to feel that sting ($$) in the beginning than over and over.

I use my festool tools in conjunction with my CT33/e DC and its just an awesome system. I really like how DC is at the heart of their design process not an afterthought.

When I got mine a good bit of selling features did not apply to me like the light weight and so forth as I don't go on a job site, so I don't get that benefit. However, the easy of dialing that bevel in is sweet. The quick change and setup and lock it and it stays there. Huge benefit as I can't stand fiddling The dual lasters are a nice add as well. Finally it's dead on every time. I have mine set up as a dedicated station with a shop vac attached on an automatic on/off switch so it fires when I turn the saw on.

Never has failed me, and the dc is off the charts. Again, not saying any others are bad as I have not owned or used the Hitachi. Looking back all the years I've had it, don't have a problem with buying it and I'd get it again. It ain't cheap, but then I've not found a cheap Festool tool.

Never had one fail on me either.

Good luck.
    Agree dust collection is a huge bonus, but not sure it's worth $700. The cuts can't be anymore accurate than what I've set up with the Bosch. As I stated, cost is not a limitating factor.

I previously owned a Kapex, ended up having to sell it, and have now ended up with a 12" Bosch Glide. I can honestly say that I do think that the Festool is the better tool, but it's not worth the upgrade unless you're actually unhappy with your current saw. The dust collection on the Festool is slightly better, but it is a miter saw so it still makes a mess.

The things that I do like better about the Kapex are that the handle/trigger arrangement are more comfortable for me, and I never gave a thought to blade deflection. Those two things may in fact be related to each other. However, just paying a tiny bit of attention to my cutting motion with the Bosch avoids any actual problems, so I won't be looking to buy a Kapex unless my Bosch succumbs to an untimely death. At that point, if I can afford it, I'll probably buy another Kapex.

I have an older C8FB Hitachi that I love. Where I was formerly employed we had the Kapex. The two main points for the Kapex was the dust collection and the the dual laser lights. Other than that my Hitachi was just as accurate and made just as smooth cuts. just my 2 cents.

Tony Joyce

Just as a side note. I worked where they were a Festool dealer and I would have/did received a substantial discount. I do own other Festool products so no bias.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 06-27-2015 at 1:09 PM. Reason: Added comment
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd View Post
    I previously owned a Kapex, ended up having to sell it, and have now ended up with a 12" Bosch Glide. I can honestly say that I do think that the Festool is the better tool, but it's not worth the upgrade unless you're actually unhappy with your current saw. The dust collection on the Festool is slightly better, but it is a miter saw so it still makes a mess.

The things that I do like better about the Kapex are that the handle/trigger arrangement are more comfortable for me, and I never gave a thought to blade deflection. Those two things may in fact be related to each other. However, just paying a tiny bit of attention to my cutting motion with the Bosch avoids any actual problems, so I won't be looking to buy a Kapex unless my Bosch succumbs to an untimely death. At that point, if I can afford it, I'll probably buy another Kapex.
    Matt, I'm especially interested in your opinion. The Bosch's dust collection is not any better than a $200 miter saw in my opinion. The Kapex seems very good at dust collection, but to be honest, there aren't very many Kapex videos on Youtube for me to get a balanced opinion. Dust collection is a big consideration, though not worth $700 to me. In regards to blade deflection, would that not be more reliant on the type of blade rather than the machine? There must be some intangible that would make you choose the Kapex over the Bosch if money was not an object? This intangible is what I'm trying to quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Agree dust collection is a huge bonus, but not sure it's worth $700. The cuts can't be anymore accurate than what I've set up with the Bosch. As I stated, cost is not a limitating factor.
    I guess it comes down to "value" is truly in the eye of the beholder. When I amortize that initial cost over the years I've had it and will continue to have it, I think its worth it hands down.

If you have a festool router over say a porter cable why? Both will rout, for that matter a rigid or black n decker will get the job done.

You could have a similar argument around Lie-Nielsen vs Irwin chisels or their hand planes .vs. a wood river plane.

The list goes on and on. So at the end of the day Your call! For me, it's been worth it and I'd do it again. Can't say that for my first delta chop saw POS. But that's another conversation. Good luck and cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-27-2015 at 4:55 PM.

I have Hitachi CF 10 and it has been fine for the past ten years of home remodel and weekend warrior use. I having been thinking about every a Kapex for over a year, looking for a good rationalization . . Which I now have found.

two thoughts: if you have to ask, you are looking for a reason NOT to get one. However, I am in the cry once and get on with using it camp.

another observation/assumption: the people that get them must like them , because I NEVER see them on Craigslist, etc.

Easier adjustments for miter/bevel cuts, better dust collection, rails on the front (taking less space at the back) are the pros.
    I don't think it's any better than my Milwaukee (12"). When I was building our house I worked sided by side my finish carpenter who has a Kapex and worked with it a bit and compared it to my Milwaukee. It has obviously less capacity. Many of the plastic parts in it can break (my finish carpenter had a few that were routinely broken from a kick back on miter saw). I have some Festool tools and some are just excellent value (like Domino). Their miter saw isn't (for me at least), unless you really need to have the very good dust collection.

I have Kapex, dust collection is way better than my previous 12" Ridig miter saw. However, I am not quite happy with the dust collection for the expensive price tag, Festool really should make the dust collection even better than 92% they claimed.

So I plan to do this modification http://festoolownersgroup.com/member...kapex-project/.

Other than that, no complain. You can make it a nice miter saw station with FastCap best fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmOq0RWWRLo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEkC0hAx4c

Or buy universal Kapex bracket from Multiblade to make your own cut station.

http://multiblades.com/UniversalKapexBracket.html

The Kapex is a really nice miter box, but I don't think it's a $1400 saw.

If you're looking for a saw that will be permanently mounted to a bench, and you're looking to spend $1400, you'd be a fool to buy one in my opinion. $1400 will get you into an extremely nice used Derda or OMGA chop saw, and they are ten times the quality of the Kapex. But you don't want to lug around a two hundred pound mitre/chop saw. Move it once, and hopefully never again.