Thread: Filling nail holes in mdf trim

Filling nail holes in mdf trim

How hard is it to fill holes in newly installed mdf trim? How visible should the nail holes be after painting? Sorry for the loaded question.

About the same as filling nail holes in trim made of anything else.

I have noticed that people rarely sand the filler enough. They're applying it like drywall mud and feathering the edges. Try not to get too much beyond the hole you're filling, make sure the hole is overfilled, sand it back to even with the surface of the trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    About the same as filling nail holes in trim made of anything else.

I have noticed that people rarely sand the filler enough. They're applying it like drywall mud and feathering the edges. Try not to get too much beyond the hole you're filling, make sure the hole is overfilled, sand it back to even with the surface of the trim.
    +1 and invisible
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I avoid MDF moulding whenever possible. When we shoot 15 ga, the MDF around the hole mushrooms out, requiring either a sharp chisel or added sanding to flatten. 18 ga same thing, although to a lesser degree. A PITA if you're doing production work. Having said that, whatever filler you use on wood moulding will perform the same on MDF.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.