Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel marking gauges -- important design considerations, etc.

Wheel marking gauges -- important design considerations, etc.

I have a cheap wheel marking gauge, and I wonder if more expensive ones are better. I'd like to hear experiences with different types and opinions on which ones are the best -- and why. Not just the best manufacturer, but the important design considerations. For example, Lee Valley sells a Starrett for me or than $100. Is it really that much better than others? And how useful are the double gauges, the ones you can use to mark both sides of a mortise, groove, etc., at the same time?

Thanks!
    Michael Ray Smith

To me, the TiteMark is the Cadillac of marking gauges and it's less than $100. LV has one that works as well, is about $40, but is not as convenient as the TiteMark. If you go with the LV, get the micro adjust one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I had a LV, sold it and got the Titemark. The Titemark just works so much better for me, can't explain why, since the two are so similar in design.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Important features are: The wheel is flat and the screw holding the wheel is flush. Cheaper marking gauges the screw head will not be flush with the marking wheel. Will the beam "lock", the TiteMark will. Not all others do, I've had even some of the better gauges other than TiteMark move. I find the "micro" adjust of the Titemark very useful. On that YMMV.

Double gauges, not a deal breaker either way....can be hard to adjust. Usefulness depends on how you work and use a gauge.

ken

Blog Entries
    TiteMark and Lee Valley get my vote. I have a couple of Lee Valley's and tend to reach for this one more often than the other; the offset rod and greater comfort in use I guess. Although both work well and have never slipped once set the fine adjust feature is not present on the stainless 'limited edition' version. I have used both for many years; long enough to require a replacement wheel on one.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have both the "limited edition" LV gauge, and a couple of the regular wheel gauges. I also have a bunch of wooden ones, people just seem to give them to me.

My beam gauges are pretty great as well, especially the LN panel gauge, but they don't hold a candle to the wheel gauges.

The wheel gauges are fantastic. I suspect a TiteMark would wreck me, and I would have to sell all of my current gauges to buy a couple of them.

So I ain't trying one, no siree. :-)

cant imagine woodworking without them.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Michael,

Here is my comparison of the LV and the Tite Mark:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...as-Wheel-Gauge

My Tite Mark is my go to marking gauge. There are a few Stanley pin gauges that are also often used. for me the LV with the micro adjust is a bit difficult to use. It may be mostly due to an injury to my right hand many years ago.

I have not tried any of the double wheels for mortise & tenon marking. My old adjustable pin gauge seems to work well for that.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Titemark, without doubt. I learned the hard way.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm detecting a pattern here......

Just checked out the Tite-Marks on the Glen-Drake web site. The fixed width double wheels are a fantastic idea. A huge percentage of the grooves and dadoes I cut are 1/4". I'd pay $20 extra for that fixed width double wheel.
    Michael Ray Smith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm detecting a pattern here......

Just checked out the Tite-Marks on the Glen-Drake web site. The fixed width double wheels are a fantastic idea. A huge percentage of the grooves and dadoes I cut are 1/4". I'd pay $20 extra for that fixed width double wheel.
    More likely for me to spend the extra money and get a second Tite-Mark.

May consider the dual cutter, but then more than one size would be needed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like my veritas, but have not tried tite-mark. One with two rods is handy because one has choice in cutter's bevel direction and fence is oval and does not roll off the table. I think micro-adjust might just get in a way, I like to tap the table for microadjust.

The Veritas double wheel heads cannot be adjusted closer than 3/8".

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I have both LV and Tite Mark.

TO bring the LV closer to Tite Mark performance - make sure you hone the wheel! The LV wheels are much ' duller ' that the TM; the TM can stand for a honing to 8000 grit as well.

Good luck -

Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    The Veritas double wheel heads cannot be adjusted closer than 3/8".
    This is true of the "Marking/Mortise Gauge Heads" accessory kit with two wheels on the same shaft. But it is not true for the "Veritas Dual Marking Gauge", to which I (initially) thought you were referring. If I had the dexterity, I could set my Dual Gauge to mark a single line with both cutter wheels.

I wouldn't want one to cover everything I may ever do. A single 1/4 inch would probably take care of 80-90%of the grooves and dadoes I cut. The other 10-20% I can mark one side at a time.
    Michael Ray Smith