Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (old) Lathe

New (old) Lathe

Ive been looking for a wood lathe for a while. Yesterday at a yard sale, I found a 1930s era Delta Double Duty. It is in pretty good condition.
    I'm in the process of cleaning it up...
    a question I have is, are face plates inter-changeable? I don't know what the thread is. Could it be a universal thread?
    Any suggestions on where I may purchase one?
    im looking forward to trying this thing out. I haven't been at a lathe in 35 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Howarth; 06-28-2015 at 5:51 PM. Reason: I accidentally hit the post button

The only way to know for sure is to measure the spindle diameter and threads per inch. Lots of parts for these on Ebay.

nice find! it should be a 1"X8tpi. faceplates are easy to find. there is someone on owwm that is selling stacks of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    nice find! it should be a 1"X8tpi. faceplates are easy to find. there is someone on owwm that is selling stacks of them.
    What he said ⬆️

That is a nice find. Looks like it may be the original table too. Have fun!

Doug

Great find.
    I cant help with the size faceplate you need. But when you find out, Penn State has some good low price options to get you started.
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lathe-faceplates.html
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Congratulations on the new lathe! You can have a lot of fun with that. If it's the model I'm thinking of, it was quite popular in high school industrial arts shops, etc. Suggest you or a mod move this thread to the Turners forum. There are folks there with personal experience with this lathe, and others who have restored similar old iron. They may also have a suggestion on finding or fabricating a belt guard.

I bought a old Delta lathe(not as old as yours) and it had something like a 3/4"x16 TPI headstock and #1 morse tapers in the head and tail stock. I wouldn't count on anything as being "standard" with Delta.

Should be 1x8 tpi with a mt2 taper in the headstock and tailstock. Faceplates, chucks etc. are easy to get since 1x8tpi is a modern standard threading. Delta originally made 3" and 6" faceplates for your lathe . The 3" faceplate was 1x8tpi right hand thread (inboard use) and the 6" faceplate was 1x8tpi RH/LH thread so it could be used inboard or outboard on this lathe. Plenty of accessories out there from many manufacturers today to fit a 930.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 06-29-2015 at 2:31 PM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Nice find! Looks like some of the ones they just replaced at the High School near me last year. They wholesaled them off to one place so we never got a chance at them.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

12. Do you know what you plan to turn? Some guys(me) don't use a faceplate. Your money may be better spent toward a chuck or some centers.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Here's the motor before and after, it runs like a champ. The lathe itself, is done except for some wiring and a belt.
    Thank you all for the suggestions an help on what to do with this machine.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job! Everything looks great. Did you change the motor bearings? Go make some shavings!

There are no bearings, bronze bushings. When I took the motor apart, I found wool yarn under the oil filling caps. The bushing are grooved in a way, I assume, to spread the oil about. There is no slop on the motor shaft, back and forth, up and down. I checked the head and tail stock bearing and they looked new, I'll see when I fire it up. If they sound funky I'll replace them...

I read recently that Link-belts are hard on pot metal pulleys. Any thoughts on that?