Thread: Raster Engraving on wood resulting in Rough Uneven Edges - Like edges on a coin

Raster Engraving on wood resulting in Rough Uneven Edges - Like edges on a coin

I am doing a raster engraving on wood and getting really rough uneven edges. Looks like the edges on the side of a coin. I had this problem before and changed my lens and it was fine. Now it has come back. I thought is was my laser tube and I just had it replaced. I attached a picture. Any help would be great, I cannot seem to get smooth edges on this project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Helix 45 Watt
    Corel Draw X6

Blog Entries
    Bad pic, so it's difficult to tell if the rough edge is just the bottom of the cut, through the middle, or at the top, as well. Either way, consider running a vector cut on the outline of the letters to clean things up.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I could be way off, but using only the picture you provided... it looks like you're engraving into a plywood? I'd bet you're engraving just deep enough to cut through the entire first layer of the top ply. The rough edges you're seeing could be the glue which may be an "uneven" substrate under that top ply, thus the laser is cutting through an inconsistent sticky layer. Either reduce power/increase speed to cut a bit shallower or crank it up to dig deeper and vaporize that layer of glue. I bet if you run a vector cut it'll clean it up like Dan says, but I bet some of those little intrusions of glue will remain? Just a thought. Good luck!
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

could you do a lite vecter cut after your raster to clean it up

Is this text or graphic text? Zoom in on your original .cdr file and verify those edges are smooth.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

try to engrave card stock, paper or plexi to see if you get the same result, then you can determine if it is the laser the wood.
    Epilog Legend 24TT

Thank you all for your feedback.
    I am getting better results. I did a couple things. I loosened the tension belt. I had switched my lens holder assembly from my Helix to my Mini (both 45 watt lasers and exact same lens holders - did this because my Helix lens is brand new). I did not think this was big deal, but it may have been the problem. When I put it back in, it rastered much better.
    I also tightened up the screws around the carriage and cleaned the belts and cog (gear connect to the motor).
    Epilog Helix 45 Watt
    Corel Draw X6