Thread: Fast(er) drying exterior finish for Ipe

Fast(er) drying exterior finish for Ipe

Been a while but I am back here- still working wood just been having babies and moving houses etc. so have taken some time off- could use some help though as finishing is my weak point.

I have a client that wants me to put a semi gloss/satin/gloss finish on an Ipe table I made that she uses outdoors occasionally but is always rolled in at night or if there is a rain storm. Bar table type thing. Additionally, I have a major love affair going with Ipe and really want to be able to finish it nicely with something that will build rather than just an oil because I find myself using it for all kinds of jigs and little decorative things. Would like to use something that dries faster than traditional varnish though because I am always contaminating my finishes with dust or they aren't curing right because its cool and humid at night.

I am slightly concerned that direct sun might cause the oils in Ipe to shed just about any finish I might put on it. Thus far just brushing/wiping finishes on and it looks like one of the faster drying polyurethanes is probably the easiest route but thought I would ask.

Tried shellac and really liked it but I think it will deteriorate from wet glasses and any moisture- is this correct? Boy does shellac look great after a red scotchbrite pad!

Any suggestions for an exterior finish that dries somewhat quickly? Frankly I think an interior finish would work fine too if anyone has a suggestion. Would be interested in any 2 part finishes anyone has to suggest as well.

TIA
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Not a finisher,have used ipe. In deck use it shrinks a lot, important to remember that as it seems so dry and stable. I have not seen it used the way you describe ,but not being left in direct sun will slow down the shrinkage but not stop it. I've seen it glued up for interior use and come apart.

Maybe a marine spar varnish? Something used for boating?

I have had good luck with MinWax Spar Varnish. I thin it 50% and wipe a number of coats on the Ipe. I have an Ipe deck that I treat with Penofin but I use the varnish on some tables I made.

I am afraid that spar varnish might be the best option but still hoping someone will have an idea I havent tried.

For example, Awlgrip makes some 2 part clear coats but they have to be sprayed and are super expensive and finicky... its an idea though.

I would put on a coat of Sealcoat shellac and then General Finishes Exterior 450. It's a waterbased product so it will dry quickly. It has an excellent UV stabilizer package and some folks report 5+ years of constant outside use before an update is required. Some folks here have finished exterior doors with it and they looked beautiful.

https://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-exterior-finishes/exterior-450-outdoor-finish#.VZKvc0ZBn6E

John

I have tried everything but varnish I think.

2 coats of shellac after a heavy acetone wash and a week of curing lasted about 1 hr in the Sunday before it bubbled- I think it was the oil in the wood coming out in the heat. Its amazing stuff. Maybe a topcoat with a u/v filter would have helped?

Honestly I am going to use mahogany and varnish it. I think I give up on trying to find a way to work with the Ipe and film finishes because its too risky if I am going to have to go and scrape it all off...

Thank you all for your thoughts- I will be varnishing the mahogany and will do test sample of spar varnish on it, let it cure and then leave it in direct sunlight and see what happens. Will get back to you.

I think that is a wise decision. Mahogany is stable and gives you more finish options. And mahogany has always been associated with luxury and will be more pleasant to touch and see.

Double wise for testing first. :-)

Let us know how the Mahogany works out.