Thread: Has anyone turned Southern California Jacaranda?

Has anyone turned Southern California Jacaranda?

This one is Jacaranda Mimosifolia.

A friend had one cut down and cut into log sections.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That looks like a variety of the Mimosa we have here in TN. I've wondered if that wood could be a nice turning wood.

I have turned some Jacaranda, same species but it grew here in AZ, it's kind of a plain wood, but as I recall it turned and dried OK. This is a pic of what I turned from it, (accents are dyed Maple)100_1557.JPG

There is one ornamental that is called a Mimosa/Silk tree, that I see a lot around here. I am not sure if they are related at all or not. These make me sneeze, so I don't turn it any more. Pretty light weight wood.

robo hippy

I turned lots of Southern California Jaccaranda. It turns and finishes easily and is very stable during the drying process. It tends to be relatively plain grained and has a density similar to Pine but is more opened grained. It can exhibit quilting similar to maple in areas where the tree changes direction of growth. It takes dye readily. Woodl lots don't seem to want it so the price is right.

Brian, not sure if you have fungal problems over there, but we have bluestain problems with it here, so i treat the fresh cuts with pool chlorine and this stops the stain forming.
    rgds,
    Richard.

I forgot about the blue stain. I tried covering the first batch of logs with a tarp and got the blue stain.

Charge extra yeah.