Thread: Sawstop ZCI

Sawstop ZCI

So I have my insert for my sawstop, which is a little loose around my blade. I decided I wanted it to be tighter like a custom made ZCI. I filled the slot with bondo like I've done many times on my unisaw. I tried to raise the blade through the bondo, to no avail. I just can't make the saw cut through it. I'm not sure If I put too much hardener in it or what. Any ideas? The phenolic insert bows upwards as I try to cut it, where the unisaw inserts were all aluminum and would not bow under pressure... Looking for all ideas, I really don't want to spend $39 for another!

I have never tried to cut bondo on a tablesaw. Two part epoxy yes, but not bondo. Can't help you here.

As for the phenolic insert bending, I cut my inserts with a jointed 2x4 clamped to the table over the insert. I'm sure my inserts don't lock in the same way as the Sawstop (actually mine don't lock at all). So the board is required to even attempt the cut. But I think it would work to keep the insert flat. Different problem, same solution.

is your riving knife hitting the bondo?

Have you removed your riving knife?! I forgot to do so the first time and had a brake fire from the knife hitting the blade....

Yep, no riving knife installed. I also put the fence over the insert, and a 2x4 clamped to the fence to hold it down and to cut into once it breaches. I can't clamp the 2x4 directly to the table without moving the whole saw due to my outfield table, and I don't want to disconnect my dust collector again. I may have to...

I'm at a loss. Your blade should cut through the bondo without issue. Does the saw bog down at all when you're trying to make the cut? Any smoking, etc? After attempting the cut, is the bondo scored on the underside (meaning, is there evidence that the blade is contacting the bondo and it's truly an issue of the blade not wanting to cut=)? When you raise the blade with the saw turned off, can you see any obstructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    I'm at a loss. Your blade should cut through the bondo without issue. Does the saw bog down at all when you're trying to make the cut? Any smoking, etc? After attempting the cut, is the bondo scored on the underside (meaning, is there evidence that the blade is contacting the bondo and it's truly an issue of the blade not wanting to cut=)? When you raise the blade with the saw turned off, can you see any obstructions?
    The blade definitely scores the bottom of the bondo, The only thing that I can come up with is that the insert just flexes too much. I guess I'll have to clamp a board on top of it, instead of using the fence. I'm using a WW2 blade that's practically new too. I'm perplexed as I've done this many times on my fathers unisaw with no problems whatsoever.

Dumb question alert: You installed the blade the right way forward, right?

Disregard.....I really am a moron. I swore I had taken the riving knife off... Just goes to show why I should walk away after 9 pm..... Thanks all....

Steve,

Glad to hear you found the problem! Thanks posting the fix! It will be valuable to others in the future!

BTW, you aren't the only one who has done something like this!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilde View Post
    Disregard.....I really am a moron. I swore I had taken the riving knife off... Just goes to show why I should walk away after 9 pm..... Thanks all....
    No, thank you for coming back with the fix. Of course, none of us have ever done anything like this so we are now looking down on you with contempt . . . NOT!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was going to ask if the ZCI was made out of hot dogs.

Man, you are lucky that you didn't force the riving knife into your brand new blade!!

Glad the fix was simple.