Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever seen a jointer / planer like this before?

Anyone ever seen a jointer / planer like this before?

On a local board for sale for 550 euros, made in Finland I think, 50s or 60s perhaps. It planes in an odd way, the jointer tables are also used for planing, you can see a roller for planing work on it. You swing out the contraption in the middle and use it to press down the work piece, then you feed it in like in an ordinary planer.

Thought it looked interesting and I'd be curious to know if this system was used in the US any, and if anyone here has used one if so?

Looks like it has a feed roller on the infeed table, and that the portion that swings out over the jointer would simply press down on the board enabling it to work similar to a power feeder for a jointer but not as a planer..

This is 100% guaranteed a planer and not a power feed. I am not guessing at the function. I was told this by local woodworkers with knowhow of old machines, including one who owns a similar machine in his business, a Stenberg KEV 600 from the 50s which planes in this exact manner.

edit: Example of somebody elses KEV 600:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_SfnCvFsYU

That is fascinating. I've never seen a machine like that, but now that I see it in the video, I think I understand how it works... the key seems to be that you lower the infeed table significantly so that the feed roller can press the workpiece upward against the flat reference surface/"table" on that overhead contraption. It's just an upside down planer.

Very cool and quite simple.

It is indeed cool but can you imagine the chips if you were planing a full-width board? LOL.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I feel like its missing some of the stuff a decent planner would include, like anti kick back fingers, chip breaker, pressure bar, outside roller, and dust collection. Oh...and gravity. When planing a big long board the one feed roller no has to do a 100% effort to fight the force of gravity, with a standard head over planer, gravity is one force that helps hold the boards down. Got any close ups of surface quality or vids of wide stock being processed?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I want one!!

Very cool, that video sows how it's used.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Well there have been plans for little contraptions to turn jointers into planers. And of course Inca had the 8-5/8" jointer which converted into a planer with a contraption that clamped on (though it was not power fed, you had to push the stock through).

I Believe I saw something similar to this in 1968 on the Dong Nai River south of Saigon. I landed my helicopter on it picked up a SEAL Team.

Oh, and a similar style (albeit smaller) is picture in one of James Krenov's books.

I was going to post the same as Phil,reminds me of the Inca jointer planer James K used, I like all the leavers and knobs it uses if I had it I would feel like a mad scientist woodworker.Very cool plus. I also like jointers of any style.Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I was going to post the same as Phil,reminds me of the Inca jointer planer James K used, I like all the leavers and knobs it uses if I had it I would feel like a mad scientist woodworker.Very cool plus. I also like jointers of any style.Thanks for sharing.
    Well Krenov had an Inca later but in one of the books it shows him in a shop back in Europe somewhere using a larger cast-iron unit with the features of the unit above.

My mistake I thought it was a early style machine.Oh well wrong again.🐔

I believe that is the USS Robert F. Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Well there have been plans for little contraptions to turn jointers into planers. And of course Inca had the 8-5/8" jointer which converted into a planer with a contraption that clamped on (though it was not power fed, you had to push the stock through).
    Back in the 70's, before I could afford some kind of thickness planer, I bought one of those Inca thicknessing "contraptions" and adapted it to work on my Rockwell Delta 8 inch jointer. It wasn''t difficult to do, but I can't say I thought much of the planing results I got with it. Being hand fed and gravity taking its toll, it was difficult to get smooth even cuts. It used a spring to hold the work up against the plate, with pressure being controlled by adjusting the height of the infeed table. For long heavy boards it was more or less useless.

I got the idea from James Krenov's books which showed his jointer with a thicknessing attachment. I had also seen one in a British woodworking magazine in the early 70's; apparently they were quite common in Europe. I have also seen plans for something similar but shop-built in an old woodworking book on the web, but I dis-remember where.

I think the idea has merit for occasional thicknessing - especially with a powered infeed roller like the one in the youtube video - but not for extensive milling of rough stock. I used mine occasionally for getting a parallel thickness after first sawing to thickness on the bandsaw; I wasn't removing much material. I still have the attachment, but haven't used it in about 30 years.

Jim

He who welds steel with flaming pine cones may accomplish anything!