Thread: Lemon Cypress Wood

Lemon Cypress Wood

My gardener just told me that he needs to take down two pretty big lemon cypress trees. I could not find any info on their suitability for woodworking. I know they are pretty fast growth so may not be the best, but it would still be nice to be able to make something out of them. Feels more respectful.

Anyone know anything about the Lemon Cypress and woodworking usage?

When you say "pretty big", what do you mean? What's the trunk diameter at knee level? How tall is the trunk before the first big branches? Is the trunk growing vertically, or does it lean?

It's a split trunk growing vertically. Each side is around 12"

Sounds like it might have a lot of internal stress and that's never good.

By split I meant at about 2 foot up it splits into two separate trunks. Is that something that is caused by stress or did you think I actually meant split as in cut?

From a trunk that's 12" in diameter, you're not going to get many real planks. That is, you shouldn't expect to build a whole dining table with it. You might be able to get a little end table out of it. Cutting the lumber and drying it will be quite an adventure. Or you could use it to learn how to turn. That's been on your to-do list, hasn't it?

Turning has definitely been on my to do list. I'm not sure I should get into it because of my addictive personality and all that I've heard of turning
    In any case the reason I'm even considering going through the effort of cutting the lumber, drying it and waiting a year or two or more, depending on how I cut the lumber, is out of respect for the tree. Basically an adventure as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    From a trunk that's 12" in diameter, you're not going to get many real planks. That is, you shouldn't expect to build a whole dining table with it. You might be able to get a little end table out of it. Cutting the lumber and drying it will be quite an adventure. Or you could use it to learn how to turn. That's been on your to-do list, hasn't it?

This is true, but at the same time, a 12" log is a whole lot easier to deal with, esp if the OP doesn't have a winch & other important sawyer gear. Plus, he'd surely get enough width to make boxes and such, plus he has a nice U-crotch for turning.

I say go for it. It's a great way to see if you like the whole process.