Thread: Best rattle can paint for used bar chairs.

Best rattle can paint for used bar chairs.

Enamel or acrylic? Rustoleum or Krylon, others?

I have to paint a couple gently used wooden bar chairs. A relative bought them used and wants them painted black. They look to be made out of rubber tree wood and finished with a dark wine toned commercial varnish. The finish is worn off in places along a few of the edges, but other than that they are in great shape - still solid and no major dings. I've sanded them down with 150 and primed them with Zinsser B-I-N Primer/Sealer, just need to decide whats the best can of spray paint I can get at a big box store. I'm leaning towards Rustoleum Professional Enamel, but I thought I'd get the hives input.

Rustoleum Professional Enamel would be a good choice.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

90% or better of them used to be the same thing.
    There were only a handful of places that packaged spray paints (put the paint in the spray can).
    Seymour of Sycamore "owned" the market for years.

If you wanted spray paint, you bought it from them w/your label on the can.

I don't know if it's like that today or not. I suspect it probably is for the most part.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rustoleum has the best nozzle. Atomizes well for a smooth spray.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Only thing I'll add to the discussion is that it takes at least a week for the paint to cure, to truly harden. Most people that complain about rattle cans didn't let the paint cure, they thought it was dry to the touch and ready to use. I've had rattle paint I've applied more liberally that took a good 2-3 weeks to fully cure. When I can't dent it with my fingernail, I know it is hard. I then wait another week.

After action report. The rattle can spray paint job came out very, very nice. My daughter is very happy with how they look. I'll be using more of the Rustoleum Professional Enamel if the need arises.