Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More G0766's On The Way!

Roger, thanks for the update on the tool rest, I did forget to add that to my review or experience. That is an issue with me as well and I agree, should be fixed by Grizzly. I haven't fixed mine yet but do plan to buy an aftermarket tool rest, probably more than one.

One more thing I will mention. I have bought a lot of tools from a lot of different manufacturers and rarely do I not have to tighten a bolt, realign, or make a minor adjustment. Before I bought my first Grizzly tool, and I was a new member on this forum, I asked a question about what I had heard about Grizzly and the quality of their tools. I was quickly contacted by the mod's that my line of question wouldn't be tolerated (and they were 100% correct, I didn't ask the question the correct way) Since that time I have purchased a table saw, jointer, and now the lathe. I have also ordered clamps, a couple of vise, various misc tools. I have been 100% satisfied with every single purchase. I am looking to upgrade my floor drill press, band saw, dust collector, and add an air filtration for the smaller particles. I absolutely will go to Grizzly immediately to compare to other brands. Just can't imagine paying more for the quality and functionality of the tools I have from them.

2. Scott........just to be clear, the last I heard anything about the toolrest was on the former thread I began about the fix. I have not heard anything from Grizzly about the issue, after they called me and offered a replacement off the G0632 16" swing lathe.

I declined that, and thought that they were going to continue to look at the problem and come up with some sort of solution [what that may have been was not indicated] but now we have forum members saying they were told that the original is within specs and nothing will be done. Others indicate that Grizzly is still looking into the matter, and leave the impression that Grizzly is working on something........

I just wish all the CS reps and tech guys would get on the same page with this..........it is confusing! This toolrest sitting too high to get a bowl gouge at the correct angle is the only thing that I have to complain about......otherwise the G0766 lathe I have is one SWEET machine!

Of course aftermarket rests can solve the issue, but it should be made right in my opinion. But when you have either denial that there is a problem, or inadequate replacement from a lathe with 6" less swing, then that leaves the customer holding a badly machined or spec'd critical part of the lathe.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-07-2015 at 11:18 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger my neighbor and fellow turner took a vacation trip to the Napa area in Cali. He picked up some of this and some madrone burl for me as well. He got it from a genteleman with a small shop and turning business. I will ask him about his name and let you know.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

The rest from a 16" swing machine seems appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Scott........just to be clear, the last I heard anything about the toolrest was on the former thread I began about the fix. I have not heard anything from Grizzly about the issue, after they called me and offered a replacement off the G0632 16" swing lathe.

I declined that, and thought that they were going to continue to look at the problem and come up with some sort of solution [what that may have been was not indicated] but now we have forum members saying they were told that the original is within specs and nothing will be done. Others indicate that Grizzly is still looking into the matter, and leave the impression that Grizzly is working on something........

I just wish all the CS reps and tech guys would get on the same page with this..........it is confusing! This toolrest sitting too high to get a bowl gouge at the correct angle is the only thing that I have to complain about......otherwise the G0766 lathe I have is one SWEET machine!

Of course aftermarket rests can solve the issue, but it should be made right in my opinion. But when you have either denial that there is a problem, or inadequate replacement from a lathe with 6" less swing, then that leaves the customer holding a badly machined or spec'd critical part of the lathe.

Roger,

The banjo severely limits the swing on the lathe if turning a bowl or hollow vessel. My opinion, it would be more accurate to describe the 766 as having a sixteen inch swing since that is the swing with factory equipment. Considering that, it is probably reasonable to replace the tool rest with the tool rest from another 16" machine as far as strength concerns.

A handful of reasons why my particular 766 went back to the factory but one of the major reasons is that while the height from bed to spindle might be eleven inches indicating a 22" swing, the factory banjo on the 766 will only come out far enough to turn a sixteen inch bowl. Did they ship the wrong banjo with mine? If not, why did they restrict the machine to turning sixteen inch or smaller bowls or hollow vessels? The height of the spindle above the bed seems to indicate this machine was originally designed to be able to turn nearly 22" bowls and hollow vessels. With the demand for big bowl lathes it seems that a longer banjo would ship with this machine if there was no compelling reason for it not to.

I really liked my 766. Looks like I am going to pay over twice the price for a 20" lathe, still from the Burt Group. However I already have a 15" lathe so paying $1600 to buy what is functionally a 16" lathe didn't seem like a good move for me.

Hu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh my that banjo may be a bigger problem than the tool rest. I know my old 3520 went a least 10" and probably more because of the extension allowed bigger than 20". I turn 26" on the extension but the was no way one could place the tool rest parallel to the ways. Here is a picture on the Robust AB. 14" parallel to the wave. I know the Jet 16 x 42 banjo could be a little longer also.
    image.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

6. Hu........it is not accurate that the toolrest on the 0766 limits to 16" bowls. On my former 0698 18/47, I turned bigger bowls than that, and it has the identical banjo. One bowl was almost 18" and with the banjo positioned correctly, you still have the far side of the rest outboard of the post that will support the tool.

I have stated on several occasions that the banjo on the 3520b is a better design as it is longer at the base, but the rest on the 0733 and 0766 is fully functional, when positioned correctly. I may actually upgrade to a Oneway rest or perhaps get one from powermatic.......I have considered it a few times, but have not had anything to date on my former G0698 or this 0766 that I could not manage with the stock banjo/rest.

I am quite confident that we have a good deal more swing than 16 inches!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-09-2015 at 8:16 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Oh my that banjo may be a bigger problem than the tool rest. I know my old 3520 went a least 10" and probably more because of the extension allowed bigger than 20". I turn 26" on the extension but the was no way one could place the tool rest parallel to the ways. Here is a picture on the Robust AB. 14" parallel to the wave. I know the Jet 16 x 42 banjo could be a little longer also.
    image.jpg

Bob,

I have heard the Robust banjos are the best out there, haven't tried to price one. At Oneway a twenty inch swing or twenty-four inch swing banjo is the same price and they push them for third party use. A banjo for a twenty-four inch swing would make things nicer because I wouldn't always be trying to squeeze the last little bit out of the banjo at the worst time, when I am roughing out of round pieces. Total would still be under $2000, safety is the question that nags at me. Not knowing why Grizzly didn't ship the 766 with a banjo to allow turning 22" bowls is a head scratcher.

Hu

Well, this revelation is another cause for concern (not much yet, but when I get to turn a larger bowl to the supposed capacity of this lathe, I will wish it was more thought out by Grizzly & Burt). The Oneway 24" Banjo sells for about $290, an expense I feel is wholly unnecessary if Grizzly touts this lathe as a 22" swing capacity. I don't foresee that I will be turning a lot of 22" diameter pieces, but if I had the opportunity to do so, I would expect this lathe to be able to handle the task. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    Bob,

I have heard the Robust banjos are the best out there, haven't tried to price one. At Oneway a twenty inch swing or twenty-four inch swing banjo is the same price and they push them for third party use. A banjo for a twenty-four inch swing would make things nicer because I wouldn't always be trying to squeeze the last little bit out of the banjo at the worst time, when I am roughing out of round pieces. Total would still be under $2000, safety is the question that nags at me. Not knowing why Grizzly didn't ship the 766 with a banjo to allow turning 22" bowls is a head scratcher.

Hu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    FWIW, made the same measurement on my Jet 1642 -- over 8".

10. Robust AB - 25" swing with banjo maxed out at 14 inches, but will turn very large bowls, 24 +inches. When doing a large bowl on the 0766, there is a proper sequence........lets just say a 21 inch bowl. One needs to have the blank mounted, and as long as it does not hit the bed ways, it does not matter.

The rest should be behind the blank and in front of the tailstock with quill extended to support blank. Set the rest at an angle to turn the tenon........work from the corner of the blank down to final tenon size, and shape bottom of bowl Then reverse bowl, and hollow out center.

The limits you guys are talking about here is if you want to make a complete cylinder first, which is not needed with a bowl blank. Follow what I mentioned above and you will be able to turn large bowls. You might have to reposition the banjo/rest when refining the outside once it is reversed, but you can turn a 21 +" bowl with the way the 0766 came from the factory!

Not to say that an extra long banjo might not be nice, but the factory banjo will work for bowls. A 16" hollowform is a whopper.........hollowing that out will be a chore for sure! If a turner wants to do very large hollowforms [over 16" diameter] on a consistent basis, then a longer banjo would be a real plus, and worth the investment, simply because of needing to turn it to a cylinder first.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-09-2015 at 8:59 AM. Reason: ipad typo

OK, Roger, I see what you're saying. I am sure whatever this machine has to offer, I will enjoy it. It's just such a big step in my progression as a woodturner. Going from the Hopsmith to this will be like a kid's Christmas morning every time I use it.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    OK, Roger, I see what you're saying. I am sure whatever this machine has to offer, I will enjoy it. It's just such a big step in my progression as a woodturner. Going from the Hopsmith to this will be like a kid's Christmas morning every time I use it.
    Mark........having been around a number of turners, and a member of two clubs with a total membersip that exceeds 170 turners, I have seen a lot of tweaks and upgrades they have made to stock setups. You will find as you go along that you will make additions to your basic setup.......just the nature of things in the turner's world!

If you were to go into the shops of most advanced turners, you will see all sorts of things, jigs, and tools you would wonder about.......they would tell you that they use this tool to accomplish this cut, and made that jig to allow them to make this part of a particular form.

Just be aware that where you start is not where you will end up! There is not a single lathe that has every concieveable thing a turner will discover that they need as they explore new forms and techniques........as your skills grow, so will your acquisition of new accessories and tools for turning.

Looks like tomorrow is delivery day instead of Monday. Fingers crossed for a good one this time!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Looks like tomorrow is delivery day instead of Monday. Fingers crossed for a good one this time!
    Can you plug it in before you get it all uncrated? I hope you get a good one. You deserve it after all this.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Can you plug it in before you get it all uncrated? I hope you get a good one. You deserve it after all this.

Red
    Thanks Red, I will definitely be doing that!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust