Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 inch jointer, 20 inch planer

I skipped the 8" jointer, and went with the 12". Would have liked a 16", but price kept me back. Also have a 15" planer, would have gladly gone with 20", but the 15" is half the money. And the 15" is a very good planer. If a used 20", good grade planer shows up near me, will try to buy it. Missed one a few months ago, dangit.

If I had a 16 inch jointer I would still use it like two 8s.Use one half then the second until the knives got dull.I like making tables so I lean toward a long table.Thats what matters most for me.
    Ive seen those wide combo machines with short tables doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    ...Ive seen those wide combo machines with short tables doesn't make sense to me.
    They are engineered that way for space savings, due to the small shop sizes that are common in Europe. The idea being that you can add extension tables or use roller stands if need be, but that the machine will still give you plenty of width while remaining compact when not in use. If that makes sense...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have a 12" Moak Jointer and a 20" Grizzly Planer. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I have needed to face joint a board over 12 inches. Originally I was looking for an old 16" jointer but this one came up at a good price and honestly in 4 years I haven't ever had a time where I personally needed more capacity. The way I look at it is two 12" boards edge glued is 24" which exceeds the capacity of my 20" planer. If I had a 16" jointer I would need a 30"+ planer.

I am very happy with my setup! Now I just need that Byrd Shelix head for my planner.......

Just my two cents...

Oh, and some eye candy...
    Attached Images Attached Images