Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With very little...

Which video is that? I am also thinking of building an outdoor bench or a bench that can be quickly setup and stored in a shed during a week and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Thanks to all for the kind words.

@Kees, agree. It sort of is, but at this point in my life it will have to be outside, covered. I am watching (the very long) Morovian Bench build vid. The bench (without the tray) has some appealing characteristics. I am already hunting for decent SYP boards at the BORG.

Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    Which video is that? I am also thinking of building an outdoor bench or a bench that can be quickly setup and stored in a shed during a week and winter.
    If you google moravian workbench you'll get hits

It is by Will Myers and you can buy a DVD, I am watching it on the Pop Woodworking site (subscription), perhaps there are other alternatives.

Pedro

Blog Entries
    Pedro, I know plenty of guys who use two sturdy saw horses and a planing beam with success. It happens to also be quite easy to breakdown and put away if you dont have space for a big bench.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Pedro, I know plenty of guys who use two sturdy saw horses and a planing beam with success. It happens to also be quite easy to breakdown and put away if you dont have space for a big bench.
    Brian - qu'est-ce que "planing beam"? Photo of example? I may need to know this in the near future.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Brian - qu'est-ce que "planing beam"? Photo of example? I may need to know this in the near future.
    You're talking about a setup like this, right, Brian?

JapaneseBench.jpg

Here's a quick write-up.

Excuse me for the link to Schwarz; Odate's probably the best source, followed by Jay van Arsdale, but I can't find a scan of Odate's pages, and Schwarz is just so succinct. (I can't believe I called Schwarz "succinct." It must be Friday.) Plans for knockdown trestles are hiding in my "To Build" bookmarks folder somewhere. If anyone's interested, I can dig them up, although plans--written and YouTubed--abound. Oh, and if I recall Odate correctly, a flat slab elevated on one end and jammed against a wall works too. Maybe this is the apparatus specific to jointing long boards?
    Last edited by Barry Dima; 07-10-2015 at 9:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dima View Post
    You're talking about a setup like this, right, Brian?

JapaneseBench.jpg

Here's a quick write-up.

Excuse me for the link to Schwarz; Odate's probably the best source, followed by Jay van Arsdale, but I can't find a scan of Odate's pages, and Schwarz is just so succinct. (I can't believe I called Schwarz "succinct." It must be Friday.) Plans for knockdown trestles are hiding in my "To Build" bookmarks folder somewhere. If anyone's interested, I can dig them up, although plans--written and YouTubed--abound. Oh, and if I recall Odate correctly, a flat slab elevated on one end and jammed against a wall works too. Maybe this is the apparatus specific to jointing long boards?
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I believe the ket to this setup is that it has to be fairly heavy. All of the Japanese saw horses I've seen have been hefty since they're actually purposed for timberframe.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Pedro, very well said!

One of my Dad's favorite expressions was "the Indian is always more important than the arrow". I hope that's not politically incorrect- no disrespect intended. The older I get, the smarter my Dad was!

I can only hope someday my Boys think the same of me. Not likely, but there's hope. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Best, Mike