Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Plane Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ryan View Post
    I disagree with buying a jointer for this task. The OP does not have a usable plane. If it were me, the first plane I buy would be a 4 or 5. I also would not advise rehabbing your existing planes. They sound like they are in terrible shape, and if I wasn't confident in my ability to use a hand plane, the experience would just frustrate the heck out of me.

Dennis
    The existing planes would work a lot better if the guy could learn to put the iron in with the bevel down. Buying new planes would not solve that problem. I don't see how one can pronounce these planes unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    The existing planes would work a lot better if the guy could learn to put the iron in with the bevel down. Buying new planes would not solve that problem. I don't see how one can pronounce these planes unusable.
    It's definitely bevel down, must be a trick in the way the light is hitting it to make you think it isn't.

Very simple...because they don't have either an L-N or a Veritas name plate on the OP's planes.....

80% of all the planes I rehab, came from FeeBay. Some were in even worse shape than the OP's are. They can be tuned up, even make decent shavings.

Ok,ok,...here is the deal:

Send the planes to me, with return postage. I will refurb them both up to working condition, and blog about how I do it. Your cost, other than the round trip postage? ZERO DOLLARS. PM if interested. Goes for anyone else having plane troubles....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

Send the planes to me, with return postage. I will refurb them both up to working condition, and blog about how I do it. Your cost, other than the round trip postage? ZERO DOLLARS. PM if interested. Goes for anyone else having plane troubles....
    NOW, THAT'S A TREMENDOUS DEAL!!!
    First class act. My hat's off to you.

Thumbs up Steven

called paying it forward. Things I have learned the hard way over the last few years, I can pass things along to the next person in line. Hopefully learning this sort of craft will be a bit easier for them...

Usually, I can complete a refurb in about a day, two at the most, depending on how much is needed. Most are less than a day to complete.

I think I made our pretty good today on a couple of Stanley's. I got a Type 16 #5 and a Type 9 #7C for $61 (both). They both need new blades and maybe new totes, but decent shape otherwise. I'm going to work through some of the guides on getting them back in good shape and maybe save up to get a nice new smoother from either LV or LN. Thanks again for all the help.

Jason, you ought to take Steven up on his offer. You won't find a better or more generous deal out there.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Sounds like you made out great...
    Watch out now though...once you have rehabbed one...down the slope you go...
    "Have no part plane's just keep restoring them"
    "aka; acowboy"

Have had a Handyman #1205 come through the shop a while back....
    SDC13209.jpg
    Cleaned up nicely, in fact.
    SDC13212.jpg
    Not too bad at all. All it takes is a wee bit of time, and elbow grease...
    SDC13223.jpg
    Not too bad....even had a full set of these planes...
    SDC13224.jpg
    Plus a block plane or two. For what they were designed for, they do work.

The Shelton the OP has is a bit like the Stanley Victor brand
    SDC12849.jpg
    Yep, they can do a job......

Quote Originally Posted by David M Anderson View Post
    Sounds like you made out great...
    Watch out now though...once you have rehabbed one...down the slope you go...
    I moved the blade/chipbreaker over from my newer Stanley, adjusted the throat and depth, and had shavings flying. It is amazing how much difference there is between the two models. I opened the throat and used it to smooth out some roughsawn ash, then closed it up and got the really thin shavings. That is without any other adjustments or cleanup at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    I moved the blade/chipbreaker over from my newer Stanley, adjusted the throat and depth, and had shavings flying......

Which once again infers that the original blade is probably not sharp enough. - Or you need to flatten the mating surfaces between the chipbreaker and the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Which once again infers that the original blade is probably not sharp enough. - Or you need to flatten the mating surfaces between the chipbreaker and the blade.
    That's the same blade combo that doesn't work right in the newer #5 though. I just moved it over to the older one, with no adjustments at all.

So, did the reverse happen with the other set? Have you tried a straight edge along the length of the sole?

One other trick....take a square, set the edge along the side of the iron. Check to see how straight the edge is, and if it is square to the sides of the iron. I have had a few irons come through the shop with a "wave effect" ~ on the edge, others..the corners stuck out more than the middle, almost a reverse camber effect. Sometimes a blade just wears funny, depending on what the owner was doing with it.

Don't let others talk you into buying a brand new THICKER aftermarket iron. They will say how it will cure chatter.....NOT. It merely covers up the fact the plane was tuned up badly. properly tuned up, the iron that was designed to fit the plane is plenty good to use.

IF you have any other "issues" with the planes, feel free to ask a question around these parts. ps: and take a LOT of photos! They LIKE lots of photos around here....