Thread: T Track

T Track

This may not be the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.
    For those of you that enjoy making your own jigs using T Track but hate paying 4 or 5 dollars a foot for the privilege; I found a better solution.
    I recently rebuilt my drill press and band saw table and wanted to add some T Track for clamps, stop blocks and whatever. I found that the going price was around $4-5 a foot. Not acceptable!
    So I commence to find a better deal. I did. OrangeAluminium.com has T Track for $7.83 for a 4 ft section. I just received the 4 sections I ordered 5 days ago. 16 ft with shipping and handling from Ca to SC at $2.83 /ft.
    I'm happy, they are happy, life is good.

Nice tip!

- But do we know if it's the same grade aluminum? I assume there are various grades, just like with other metals. The low price could reflect an aluminum that's easy to dent or bend, which would not be ideal for using clamps.

If you have a leftover piece, maybe you could do an "abuse" test, and let us know how it fares?

Thanks for the source Bill!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

+1 on Orange - just received 32' worth yesterday. The tracks also fit the Festool clamps. They are pre-drilled every 6" for screws.

Hopefully they don't raise the prices on us.

EDIT: Sorry, misspoke...predrilled every 3"
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 07-10-2015 at 8:18 AM.

The grade of aluminum is listed for each product and an explanation for the grades is in FAQ.

I am going to take a look and check on shipping costs.

Blog Entries
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Just ordered 2- 4 ft lengths.....with the shipping cost included it comes out to $3.12 a foot... If you are lucky enough to live near Orange California, then that's $1.87 a foot.... Either way I think we have a winner for best value...You could buy square tubing at home depot and make your own and it would still be more money.
    If anyone finds a site for less than $3 a foot , then please post.
    Marc
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

It is 6063 T5 which is not as hard as 6061 T6, but if you take special care(IE: do not over tighten, brass bolts intead of stainless or steel. it will cut down on any wear difference between the two different grades of aluminum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Nice tip!

- But do we know if it's the same grade aluminum? I assume there are various grades, just like with other metals. The low price could reflect an aluminum that's easy to dent or bend, which would not be ideal for using clamps.

If you have a leftover piece, maybe you could do an "abuse" test, and let us know how it fares?
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times