Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 78 screw replacement options

Stanley 78 screw replacement options

Hello,
    I have a stanley 78 I restored and used on only one project till the screw for the fence snapped...
    I'd like to replace both this screw and the depth stop screw while I'm at it.
    Has anyone had success by re tapping the holes and upgrading to something like the brass thumb screws LV
    sells as a replacement for the large shoulder plane?
    other options would be most welcome.
    Just looking to get this thing back in actions.
    thanks

Blog Entries
    Trevor, Welcome to the Creek.

Stanley used some odd threads. If you have a way of measuring the threads and the size of the shaft, there may be someone here who has a replacement.

I am sure others have tapped and replaced screws on the Stanley planes.

If you have other Stanley planes you may check them to see if any fit. I know a few of the sizes from memory. The frog screws and the screw at the front of the tote on bigger planes are both 12-20. I have made a tote screw from a spare frog screw.

There are also some sources for parts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm with Jim on the substitution of parts from one Stanley to another. Check that first, if you have parts planes lying about.

Have you checked the inventory at St. James Bay Tool Co.? That may solve your problem. The prices are often quite reasonable, but he does charge shipping, so look around for other parts you might need and make it one purchase.

I've retapped one hole on a Stanley - the locking screw for the fine adjustment on the fence of the No. 45. Worked OK.

Several yeas ago I was able to get a replacement fence directly from Stanley. They may have screws as well, and would be worth checking.

Another source: nhplaneparts.com on FeeBay. Eric runs a "store" and usually has a lot of old Stanley plane parts...

Someday I will have extra plane parts... (i hope), but not toady.
    I've been in contact with St james tool, but he has been out of stock for about 6 months...
    I have seen the replacement packages for sale, but I have the fence and depth stop, so I'm just after the screws...

I bought a replacement screw from stanley parts just a few years ago for a 78. I would give them a try.

had a Miller Falls Fret saw, had just bolts, the wrong ones. Walked into the local BORG and bought a pair of thumbscrews to fit. I'd take along the fence for your #78, find a thumbscrew that was a hair bigger than needed, and the needed tap. Chase the threads, add the thumbscrew..and carry on.

I just tried a 10-24 cap screw in my #78 but the threads were too coarse. It's probably a 10-28, one of those Stanley peculiars which no one seems to carry.

10. Stanley used to sell them, but discontinued them. You can still get NOS kits on ebay like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1216875...3D865115225571

the kits dont have thumb screws though, which is unfortunate.

Ward Master share the same thread size on the 78, heard that Craftsman also.

Stanley made some of there 78's.

Do not think Stanley had a bin of screws just for Ward Master or the Craftsman.

Seen a complete Ward Master on the bay at a good price, I have one and it is just as good as a Stanley and all the parts inter change.
    Last edited by David M Anderson; 07-11-2015 at 6:12 PM.
    "Have no part plane's just keep restoring them"
    "aka; acowboy"

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/stanley.html

Repro Parts:

#78 Depth Stop and screw $10.00
    #78 Fence and Rod Assembly $16.99.
    #78 Fence rod $3.00
    #78 Slitter $4.50 Post 1970 each.
    #78 Old Slitter $8.50
    #78 Slitter Screw $2.00
    #78 Blade Screw $2.50
    #78 Depth stop screw (10/28) new style $3.00
    #78 Lever cap & screw $12.00
    #78 Cutter adj. $4.00
    #78 lever cap screw $4.00
    #78 Blade $9.00

thanks for the replies, I have scoured the local hardware stores to no avail.
    st james has been out of stock since before christmas.....
    just like to get it back up and running...
    I was really hoping a nice brass thumb screw would just fit right in....

The #55 uses 1/4-32 × 1/2 and a #12-32 is close thumb scew are both with and without a shoulder depending on the spot on the plane very hard to replace

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Borden Bleich View Post
    The #55 uses 1/4-32 × 1/2 and a #12-32 is close thumb scew are both with and without a shoulder depending on the spot on the plane very hard to replace
    Howdy Borden and welcome to the Creek.

I am wondering if that may be a made in Canada plane. My #55 & #45 use 1/4-28 threads on most of the thumb screws, rod holding screws and depth stop locking screw. I know there are also a few other screws on the plane with different threads.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)