Thread: Has anyone else had trouble with Byrd Tools? (Shelix Cutter Head)

Has anyone else had trouble with Byrd Tools? (Shelix Cutter Head)

I ordered a Shelix cutter head for my Delta Thickness Planer/Jointer in February. I was told it would ship May 25th. Okay.

I called at the end of May to check on the status and was told that they had an electrical problem and it would be delayed until the middle of June. Again, acceptable, I guess.

I called to checkup the third week of June.... further problems. Now it would be July 9th.

Fully prepared for further disappointment, I called today. Something let loose on the mill and the head had to be scrapped. Now the expected delivery date is July 29th at the soonest.

Does this sound like exceptionally bad luck or standard operating protocol for Byrd Tool? I'm hoping I can still expect a high quality product.

Thanks for your input,

Scott in Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stafford View Post
    I ordered a Shelix cutter head for my Delta Thickness Planer/Jointer in February. I was told it would ship May 25th. Okay.

I called at the end of May to check on the status and was told that they had an electrical problem and it would be delayed until the middle of June. Again, acceptable, I guess.

I called to checkup the third week of June.... further problems. Now it would be July 9th.

Fully prepared for further disappointment, I called today. Something let loose on the mill and the head had to be scrapped. Now the expected delivery date is July 29th at the soonest.

Does this sound like exceptionally bad luck or standard operating protocol for Byrd Tool? I'm hoping I can still expect a high quality product.

Thanks for your input,

Scott in Montana
    I'd guess that Byrd is having a run of bad luck.

It does happen, I've worked with manufacturers that had equipment go down, and they've had to wait literally months to get replacement parts from Japan and have them properly installed.

Trouble comes in threes. Hopefully this is the third and final for a good long while for them.
    \

Ive ordered two byrd heads, both stock items for delta machines, one jointer one planer, received each within one week, both have worked flawlessly for going on 5 years. I'm guessing you are have exceptionally bad luck. Is this a custom order or something stock for a standard machine? Are you dealing with Byrd directly or through a vendor? I went through both Holbren and Grizzly, excellent delivery speed from both.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I ordered a 16" Powermatic jointer head that had to be built and it took over 2 months I think for them to get it to me. If I recall correctly they were having some hiccup at the factory and were kind of backed up. Don't know if it's still that way or not. I just got the head 3 weeks ago. Other than that I was very satisfied. I ordered through Holbren, but did call Byrd direct to get some tech specs.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

It is a cutter head they have in their system but not normally stocked; so it did have to be made. I ordered directly from Byrd Tools.

I'm just a bit concerned after a four and a half month wait and three missed delivery dates. Maybe nothing? Besides, I don't have any other option if I want a Shelix head.

Scott in Montana

Hermance sells a head called Helix .. Its a decent competitor. I've priced them out, they're comparable. I looked into ordering a Byrd about a year ago and found them extremely busy .. Just not really into it .. Great product causes people to get really busy .. lol .

We're getting a little frustrated. We ordered 4 cutter heads for machines in our school district back in March through Canadian Woodworker and still haven't received a firm delivery date! I don't mind waiting a little longer but it would be nice to have a delivery date at least.