Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a router bit: close call

a router bit: close call

I read a story that a router bit jumped out of a router table and hit the face. I thought it was a short article in FWW, but not sure.
    And similar thing happened to me yesterday.

I was making a 1/4 wide, 3/8 deep groove for a 8x12 inch cabinet door frame to accept a panel.
    It was a usual spiral bit and a PC fixed based router attached to a table.

After a while, I started to experience chatter and stopped the router.
    What I found after I lifted up the wood was the bit almost falling off from the router and dug deeply into the wood.

I suspect the upcut spirals tend to be pulled into the material?

Similar to what the writer of the FWW story said, I believe I tightened the collet as usual. Not extremely tight but with a good squeeze of two wrenches. I guess better than what we can easily do with the usual one-wrench operation for many modern routers.

It is a bit of worrisome to experience like this without a clear idea about the cause.

I wonder if you had ever experienced something similar and share your idea about the causes and prevention.

p.s.: I always lift bits in the collet for a small amount, as suggested.
    Last edited by Susumu Mori; 07-13-2015 at 11:13 AM.

My first thought was "oh boy, that could happen to me" (I did not think the word "boy", I thought something else).

My next thought was sawdust in the collet..

Glad you are safe.

Actually, now I remember that I just changed the collet from 1/2 to 1/4. Maybe something was not engaged properly or saw dust sneaked in...

Bit should be seated in bottom of collet and then PULLED BACK about an 1/8 inch before tightening. Holds better.

1/4 x 3/8 in one pass?
    The cutter was screwing itself into the work like a drill.
    Change cutters, waste/pass, and maybe your attitude.
    Routers are trimmers not hoggers.
    Moreover, don't use spirals, they're full of surprises.

Excuse me...did not see the PS

I've had bits come loose two or three times. A couple others have broken under load. In all cases, they have never done anything but stop spinning. They didn't go flying off somewhere or hit me, nothing like that. They just stopped dead in the piece of wood they were in, or fell on the floor if it was an edge cut. I can understand how a really large bit would have a lot of inertia if it broke, and might do some real damage, but small diameter bits have very little. But I still double check that the collet is clean each time I change bits and make sure to tighten the new one very well.

John

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    1/4 x 3/8 in one pass?
    The cutter was screwing itself into the work like a drill.
    Change cutters, waste/pass, and maybe your attitude.
    Routers are trimmers not hoggers.
    Moreover, don't use spirals, they're full of surprises.
    This.

That is just way too much depth of cut for a 1/4" spiral bit. I'd have taken at least three and maybe four or five passes.

And I'm pretty sure where Pat says to change your attitude, he means to change your approach.

Sure glad you turned that router off.

Years ago, I had half a dozen people from a local WW club at my house, and I was 'show and telling' them my method of making cabinet doors on a bench top router table with a PC 690. While I was talking, one guy 'helped' me by putting in a cope bit in the router, and re-inserting it in the table. Unfortunately, he did not tighten the router in its base. As I started it up to show how this step was done, the router vibrated right out of the base, dropped on the table, bounced down on the concrete of my driveway, took a couple divots out of the concrete, and wrapped itself up in the cord, ruining it. All this, right at my feet. If you think a fat guy can't move fast, you should have seen the jig I danced, trying to stay out of the way.

I don't care if the ghost of Maloof comes over and helps. I check everything now.

BTW, if anyone happens to have a bench top setup, I solved the problem the next day. A simple wooden donut screwed to the bench with a 1 1/2" wooden dowel right under the router, so it cannot possibly vibrate out. Just pop out the dowel to change bits, etc.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Pat and Phil, I guess that was it.

It was actually 5/16, not 3/8 but you'd do it in 2-3 passes. I see. Yes, it seemed screwing itself in the work. I thought it was not much material to remove and I became lazy but I certainly need to change my,,,, approach. I learned my lesson. Thanks, your advise is so valuable.

Also, I'll use regular cutters as much as possible in the future. As a hobbyist, I want to minimize any risk, if I have a choice.

A dado blade on the table saw is easily capable of doing this in one pass but not a router bit, especially with a 1/4 inch shaft. A cut or two with the table saw to remove some of the material could also make it a one pass situation.

Overloading a router has several potential outcomes and none that are very good. I like my PC690s and have raised panels with them but I make 3 or 4 passes. Two is probably enough for what you describe. I listen to how the router sounds and if it is laboring, I reduce the depth.

Cutters screwing themselves into the work are a widely recognised potential problem when milling metal - it's one reason why it's not regarded as good practice to use a drill chuck to mill with a spiral slot drill or end mill on a mill drill. Or a taper mounted tool holder not secured by a tie bar or whatever either.

Against that the ER type chuck/tool holder commonly used for light milling is at least superficially similar/ similar in principle to a router collet chuck. Much larger in diameter and heavier though - permitting much heavier tightening.

Hard to make a meaningful comparison, but it would seem definitely to suggest that significant forces can be generated by spiral cutters on routers - especially during heavier cuts on tough woods...

Blog Entries
    I have an older Craftsman Router with a single split cone type collet. I've gotten in the habit of tightening the bit in the collet, setting the depth, then making a short cut on a piece of scrap and rechecking the tightness of the collet. This short "test run" insures that I don't ruin a good piece of stock.

My Freud router has a 6 finger collet that has never slipped or loosened when making a cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I once read about inserting a rubber "O" ring into the empty collet prior to inserting the bit. That way when you tighten the bit and the collet draws the bit down, the ring just compresses. I added one to each of my routers about 5 years ago and voila.. no more bits coming loose.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    I once read about inserting a rubber "O" ring into the empty collet prior to inserting the bit. That way when you tighten the bit and the collet draws the bit down, the ring just compresses. I added one to each of my routers about 5 years ago and voila.. no more bits coming loose.

Jim
    Having an o-ring isn't a bad idea but it wouldn't have saved him here, that is just too large a cut with that bit.