Thread: Regluing "Jenny Lind" spindle bed

Regluing "Jenny Lind" spindle bed

Greetings all,

I have an old "Jenny Lind" spindle bed that racks from side to side. Cleaning up and regluing the bottom rail and upper tenons will be fairly straightforward, but I notice that all the vertical spindles are also loose and thus will spin. There is a slight bowing of the two turned rails that capture these spindles.

My question is: did original construction generally use glue on the vertical spindle tenons, or were they typically just captured? I could straighten out the bow in the turned rails by gluing a couple or all of the vertical spindles and clamping - it's not that severe. But is this sacrilegious? It is old - not a reproduction. Don't want to be accused of "laying violent hands on" an antique, valuable today or not.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Bruce

Blog Entries
    I can't answer your question, but I will say I use hide glue when repairing old furniture. It is reversible.

I use the real stuff, made from flakes and heated in a double boiler.

Thank you Lowell. I knew that. I'll be using LV old brown glue, though.

Blog Entries
    Well, I shouldn't have assumed you didn't know it. I've read discussions before where the participants weren't aware of it.
    So, the old brown glue works like the hide glue I use. I'll have to try it.

Blog Entries
    I've always seen the spindles glues although they were loose by the time I was repairing them.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Have you ever used warm vinegar water to dissolve old glue? I've used it on hide and white glue.

I got talked into buying a bottle of Deglue Goo a while back. It works, but a home recipe probably works just as well. The Deglue definitely has a vinegar smell to it - my guess is it also has some glycerine in it to aid in "cling".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Have you ever used warm vinegar water to dissolve old glue? I've used it on hide and white glue.
    Bingo! We have a winner!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"