Thread: Polishing acrylic

Polishing acrylic

I just finished engraving 60 trophies for a charity car/motorcycle show in the area and bought a flame polisher to give it a better finish. The box included a bunch of small plastic tips, any idea what they would be used for? The instructions don't say anything about it.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Okay, I found out that the tips have nothing to do with the machine. Anyone recommend any specific brands or grades of NaOH or alcohol?
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Blog Entries
    Look for something that's labeled as "100% pure lye"... Amazon has multiple choices, some prices better than others. A 1-pound container should just about last you a lifetime.

Just about any alcohol will work, though you can tweak your flame temperature with others... acetone, for example.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the advice.

Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Warning. Lye and water can really burn. I use goggles and gloves when I mix the stuff before putting it in my flame polisher. There can be some medium gas pressure build up also. I had some spray back on mine once. Got burns on my face. Lucky I was wearning goggles, and my eyes were safe. burns were mild, but I can't imagine if the stuff got in my eyes.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Warning. Lye and water can really burn. I use goggles and gloves when I mix the stuff before putting it in my flame polisher. There can be some medium gas pressure build up also. I had some spray back on mine once. Got burns on my face. Lucky I was wearning goggles, and my eyes were safe. burns were mild, but I can't imagine if the stuff got in my eyes.
    You should pour the lye (slowly) into the water, Clark, not the other way around. The same goes for acid. Lye is extremely caustic and will cause chemical burns if you get a concentrated solution on your skin... always wear protective gear when handling it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I probably wrote that wrong, but I did put the lye in slowly. This was later on. I'm talking about after the mix was in the unit. Some pressure built up the flame polisher, and while unscrewing the cap some had gotten into the alcohol chamber, and spit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    You should pour the lye (slowly) into the water, Clark, not the other way around. The same goes for acid. Lye is extremely caustic and will cause chemical burns if you get a concentrated solution on your skin... always wear protective gear when handling it.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt