Thread: Is this a good table saw to replace my Craftsman 100's ?

Is this a good table saw to replace my Craftsman 100's ?

Grizzly GS1023S
    3hp 1ph 220v
    Shop Fox Classic Fence
    Shop Fox Mobile Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    Grizzly GS1023S
    3hp 1ph 220v
    Shop Fox Classic Fence
    Shop Fox Mobile Stand
    Yes! Assuming that this is a used saw AND it's in good shape AND the price is reasonable. It will blow away your old Craftsman in every aspect.

I have the 1023RLX and it totally blew away my trusty rigid table saw that served me well for over 10 years. If you have read any of my messages or replies, I have often said I simply don't know what else one could expect from a tool. My Grizzly TS is the same thing (short of the sawstop, which wasn't in my budget). I have had it roughly 6 months and the darn saw is a work horse.

Yes, it's definitely a step up. I would still keep your Craftsman if you get the Griz' though. Set the saws and blades 90 degrees to one another, and use the Craftsman as a dedicated crosscut and as the out feed table for the Griz' when ripping. It's really nice having two table saws setup during a project.

There is a complete vintage Craftsman 100 for sale a few miles from my house. It's just sitting out in the person's driveway. I've thought about buying it just for a small jobsite type saw, but I already have two table saws. Too bad, because it looks nice and all the accessories are with it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Says "excellent condition"
    Is $600 too much?

I've had my 1023 for about a decade. Excellent saw, exceeds my expectations, does every job I've asked from it. Definitely a great buy.
    $600 is a reasonable price if the saw has not been abused by over loading the blade and heating up the motor IMO.

Good Luck!

I believe the saw is right tilt. That would make me think twice before buying it. I don't think Grizzly even makes right tilt saws any more.

It's a Left Tilt Saw.
    Owner claims only about 10 hours use on it. I'm going to go look at it. What do I look for that makes it not so desirable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would take some wood, jointed and ready to rip/crosscut and safety glasses, push stick etc. and make some sawdust if you can.

Let me think [5 nanoseconds later] YES

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    It's a Left Tilt Saw.
    Owner claims only about 10 hours use on it. I'm going to go look at it. What do I look for that makes it not so desirable?
    The G1023RL is a newer generation than the G1023S you mentioned in your original post and in my estimation, worth hundreds of dollars more. I just don't like to have to tilt the blade toward the fence or move the fence to the left of the blade before cutting a bevel. It is just awkward. It can be dangerous and cause a kickback if used incorrectly. New right tilt saws are being phased out by a lot of equipment manufacturers. There are some people who like them but only if that is what they learned on.

In answer to your original question, I think the G1023RL would be a very substantial step up.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 07-16-2015 at 2:32 PM.

What do I look for that makes it not so desirable?
    If it were me, I'd be looking for significant rust or other signs of neglect or abuse. Otherwise, these are simple, solid machines. When you get it home, just plan to give it a complete tune up and alignment.

I did indeed pull the trigger on that Grizzly TS! Seller included a bunch of other goodies and delivered it via enclosed trailer to top it off.
    So, now I have a real reason not to procrastinate on installing service wiring.
    Until I do, its a workbench

Congratulations!!