Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Least Favorite Material to cut or engrave and Why

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Since we have a Favorite material I think its only fair to have a least favorite and why. I think I'll learn more from this.
    So far on all the materials I've worked with and there's not to many Acyclic is my least Favorite. For one it stinks really bad Another I find it very hard to get good results on. I'm sure its just me and my settings but I don't have the time or money to buy it and experiment with it.
    I'm sure there's a lot of other things that are harder to work with and that's why I started the thread to find out what to stay away from.
    I second that. cutting extruded acrylic even with a fume extraction system doesnt really filter the smell. After a job you can open the lid hours later and still get a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Philman View Post
    I second that. cutting extruded acrylic even with a fume extraction system doesnt really filter the smell. After a job you can open the lid hours later and still get a slap in the face.
    Maybe the difference between an extraction system and a outside venting system? I don't cut acrylic often, but I have no lingering smell after I do. The only lingering part is the tiny bit that gets trapped between the arylic and the honeycomb and engraving bed if you cut a full length piece. Even that is very minor. What extraction system are you using and what laser Ron?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Not sure why you'd be getting the smell hours later unless you left cutouts in the machine or cut directly on the bed and so had acrylic residue stuck there. You might try running your exhaust a bit longer once done cutting to ensure all the fumes are removed. I find even a little acrylic fume makes my eyes water and irritates my nose, but my filtration system (with 16x20x8 inches of activated charcoal between a 16x20x4" prefilter and a 16x20x4" HEPA final filter) does an excellent job of handling that problem, and I don't get noticeable smell from inside the machine hours later...

I don't have a fume problem with extruded, but the people up the street mention the smell.
    oops

My least favorite is stencils for sandblasting stone (heavy use) I use 1/32" delrin with a
    1/32" polyurethane rubber and FastEdge Speed Tape (double sided) in between. It makes
    a good, heavy duty stencil for blasting stone and holds up for hundreds of cycles. But it's
    a nasty gooey sticky mess when you first cut it. Weeding your cut parts is like trying to
    pull a melted Tootsie Roll.
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.

Been lasering leather and bone and acrylic for years, no neighbor complaints--

Fortunately (for me) there's an asphalt plant about a mile from here- the smell from that place trumps anything I put out!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

A couple of reason acrylic will smell are. 1) You are cutting high impact acrylic. You can tell as the edge is sticky after a cut. 2) If your machine is out of focus you will burn way more kerf causing way more smell.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Any acrylic will smell when heated/cut, but a good filter should remove that odor from your exhaust. And neither cutting HI acrylic nor running out of focus should result in odor lingering inside the machine for hours...

antlers. peee yeww!!!!! did some for knife handles
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=