Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Material to cut or engrave and Why

Least Favorite Material to cut or engrave and Why

Since we have a Favorite material I think its only fair to have a least favorite and why. I think I'll learn more from this.
    So far on all the materials I've worked with and there's not to many Acyclic is my least Favorite. For one it stinks really bad Another I find it very hard to get good results on. I'm sure its just me and my settings but I don't have the time or money to buy it and experiment with it.
    I'm sure there's a lot of other things that are harder to work with and that's why I started the thread to find out what to stay away from.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My finger :P
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Red over white Rowmark.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

That has to be Lexan/Polycarbonate. Nasty smell, yellow smoke, and rough edges. I'll do 1/16" or less but if someone asks for 1/8" or thicker I try to put them onto another material (or laser shop).

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I hate leather! It's stinky, smelly, nasty, and creates a mess. On the good side, the one customer I do a lot of leather engraving pays really well.

I also hate sandblast stencil. It's a love-hate relationship. Like leather, it's stinky, smelly, nasty and creates a mess - both inside the laser and everywhere thereafter. The "love" part is that, like leather, it brings in a ton of money.

Funny, the two things I hate lasering the most are my biggest co2 moneymakers...

Rubber is top of my list.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

wood (MDF) - its dirty and filthy (and not in a good way )
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Taylor View Post
    wood (MDF) - its dirty and filthy (and not in a good way )
    Yeah... that's what I cut... all day every day... *sigh*
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

+1 lexan/polycarbonate
    glass is also a pain
    ceramark (cheating a bit , I know it's not a material but a spray for material) I know many people on here use, but I dislike the stuff. It's messy, expensive, and doesn't always adhere as well as I would like.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

WHY??? I was just at Laser Bits and bought some gold over black.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Red over white Rowmark.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Langhans View Post
    Yeah... that's what I cut... all day every day... *sigh*

thought you did fingers
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I dislike one of a kind rush items. Someone shows up with a pen or a bat or a turned wood bowl. They want it instantly, there is only one piece and it can't be screwed up. I am much happier cutting and engraving 50 canoe decks or 25 cutting boards or 100 olive oil sixpacks.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Rubber is also my least favorite, the oder is as bad as a skunk and its dirty.

Bert, contact your local picture frame shops and ask about purchasing their acrylic drops. I get a truck load of acrylic drops from my local frame shop for ten bucks and lots of the pieces are pretty large. I rarely need to cut large sheets down when I need small pieces for a job, I just go to my drops pile.

I'll check into that Keith ty
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Rubber is also my least favorite, the oder is as bad as a skunk and its dirty.

Bert, contact your local picture frame shops and ask about purchasing their acrylic drops. I get a truck load of acrylic drops from my local frame shop for ten bucks and lots of the pieces are pretty large. I rarely need to cut large sheets down when I need small pieces for a job, I just go to my drops pile.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Laserlights. It never seems to lay flat enough no matter how much suction or using a sticky mat. I find my engravings to be consistently inconsistent with that stuff. While it might be just me, it seems as if the top coat is thinner and thicker in some spots.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."