Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Lifts

Router Lifts

I have been wanting to add a router lift to my bench dog router table. The main reason for this is to make changing the bits quicker and easier. I just watched a video on the woodpecker lift and it got me wondering, is the main benefit of a router lift to make adjusting to the final height easier? Does a router lift even aid in the changing of bits.

I ultimately would like to be able to do a quick change of bits above the router table, not below. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a Rockler which is an older rebranded Jessem and I use a Dewalt motor in it. I change bits above the table.

One word of advice is to watch the insert ring style. Mine spin in and out quickly with a spanner wrench. Many of the ones I'm seeing these days want you to remove and replace three or four screws. That would get old.

I have a Woodpecker PRL-V2. It works as advertised.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-16-2015 at 12:00 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am looking at the Incra products and they use rare earth magnets to hold in the different rings.
    And yes, bits are changed above the table.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCR...-lift%20ii.htm
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

I have the Bench Dog in my Bench Dog. Aside from the easier above table bit changes, it is rock solid through out its travel range. I added a digital readout that allows for very fine adjustments and repeatability. I need to remove two screws to change the insert rings but don't find it a problem. The newer Bench Dogs might be different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift II. Change bits from above, insert rings are held by magnets, above table height lock to prevent height drift. Works with many different routers. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift II. Change bits from above, insert rings are held by magnets, above table height lock to prevent height drift. Works with many different routers. Works great.
    I also have this same lift and I love it. I have a craftsman router mounted to it right now but do plan to change out for a better router soon.

I have a Jessum that's about 10-15 years old. Attached is a Bosch 1617 router. If you have a wrench with a bent handle and some means for holding in the lock, other than your hand, changing bits is pretty easy. I bent some flat bar that keeps the lock engaged while I change bits and it works very well.

The long handle adds weight that counters the spring in the lock. The bend on the other end is used to open and close blast gates.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

+4. MastRLiftII rocks!!!

The magnetic insert rings make it easy to swap them out.

I have the Jessem Master R Left II and love it.

Everything is done above the table, when I got it I had a Bosch 1617 in it and now have changed it out for the PC 7518 and the lift handles it just fine.

The lift is made very well, like a battleship as they say.

The inserts are plastic and use a spanner wrench to take them in and out, you can get blank inserts so you can make the insert any size you want and need.

Here is my write-up on it when I got it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=Jessem+lift

Another vote for the Jessem Mast-R-Lift. Solidly built and very easily and precisely adjustable up and down.

I had a question for the folks that have replied to this post. Is there a difference between a Jessem MastR-lift and the Incra version, outside of the magnetic reducer plates?

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Great question. I believe those two lifts are largely the same. My lift (an Incra) even came with a Jessem owners manual!

The only diff I could see yes, was the mag rings. That's why i went Incra.

I agree with Prashun, the inserts are the only real difference and the color.

I like the plastic inserts, I can make zero clearance inserts with them, put a bit in with the lift all the way down put the blank insert in and then crank the lift up and you got a zero clearance insert.

I'm currently looking at a table to add to my sawstop, probably the Bench Dogs table, and a router lift too. I really like the look of that Incra mast-r-lift 2, and the cleansweep under table box. Has anyone here used the clean sweep system? i'm wondering if it would even attach to the bench dog table? Also what routers do you guys suggest? I have several of the older porter cable routers that I can't kill, but I'm pretty sure I've read the newer stuff doesn't last nearly as long.
    Steve