Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Adobe Flash Player

Replacement for Adobe Flash Player

With all the trouble I have been reading about that Flash Player from Adobe, is there an alternative?

Not exactly.

HTML5 is being extended by all the browser developers to be able to replace functionality Flash offers that HTML5 can't do right now. So HTML5 is close, HTML5+ gets closer.

But ultimately all the stuff Flash can do will be moved to HTML, and Flash will go away. I'm not sure how much flash is being employed in new development work now, hopefully little to none.

In the meantime Adobe will patch the bugs that are discovered and maybe even find a few themselves.

Just curious, what you are using that "needs" Flash?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Just curious, what you are using that "needs" Flash?
    I have no idea. I just found Adobe Flash Player 18 in the list of programs installed on my computer. Don't know what or how it is used for

Flash player is used to view video like you tube and tv over the net lots of stuff uses it. Firefox does not support it anymore and if something you want to watch needs flash you get a blank screen asking you to enable flash this time to watch.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Flash player is used to view video like you tube and tv over the net lots of stuff uses it. Firefox does not support it anymore and if something you want to watch needs flash you get a blank screen asking you to enable flash this time to watch.
    Firefox still supports it but Chrome doesn't

Firefox does not support it anymore
    A few days ago, some bugs were discovered in Flash and Firefox started blocking it. Adobe released a new version the next day. If you download the latest version, Firefox will not block it, and it works fine.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    A few days ago, some bugs were discovered in Flash and Firefox started blocking it. Adobe released a new version the next day. If you download the latest version, Firefox will not block it, and it works fine.
    Thanks! Did not realize this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Me either I had removed it from my computer guess I can download it again maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Thanks! Did not realize this.

Erik
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    IIRC, Apple products do not support it at all. I don't think there is even an iOS version because it is banned by them. Flash Player has always been a problem, this is not a new problem.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Foxfire does this on a regular basis. They find a security bug, block it, Adobe fixes it and get it unblocked, release another a new version, security problems are found, it gets blocked again, Adobe fixes it. Repeated again and again. It's been this way for years.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    IIRC, Apple products do not support it at all. I don't think there is even an iOS version because it is banned by them. Flash Player has always been a problem, this is not a new problem.
    You can run it on an Apple PC, but it won't run on an IPad or IPhone.

Clint

Blog Entries
    Here is a pretty good article about uninstalling it. Be sure to read the comments section as well.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ash-player.htm
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Firefox still supports it but Chrome doesn't
    Chrome has it natively, it doesn't need a plugin. Firefox has had massive problems with Flash, that's why I moved to Chrome and haven't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Chrome has it natively, it doesn't need a plugin. Firefox has had massive problems with Flash, that's why I moved to Chrome and haven't had a problem since.
    Not a solution for every site as I have clients that use sites that don't work with the Flash that Chrome uses.