Thread: Why is this so difficult...?

Unhappy Why is this so difficult...?

All I want is a hollow center that will accommodate a 3/8" auger bit (already bought... apparently they ran out of 5/16" bits and I figured the 3/8 is less likely to break, so fine...). Anyway, I bought a PSI set of centers and the hollow center will only accommodate 5/16. I find this one but the photo doesn't look like a hollow center:
    https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...-Hollow-Center
    Anyone know of a reasonably priced, 3/8" #2MT hollow center?

That's all I want.

well, the first thing I'd do is call Craft Supplies tomorrow and ask them about the center you linked.

I would bet that the center pin knocks out to make it a hollow center.

The center pin is used to align the turning, then the tailstock is advanced enough to mark the circle on the end of the piece. Then the tailstock is backed off and the center pin knocked out. The tailstock is then adavanced and the circle mark used to recenter the piece for drilling. This allows better alignment of the hole if you have to drill from both ends of the piece. Drilling from both ends is also required when turning the piece between centers, so you don't drill into the center at the head stock.
    Last edited by Tom Wilson66; 07-16-2015 at 8:34 PM.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I see. Makes sense- thanks guys.

That one says it doesn't have a MT, so I am not sure how you would mount it on the lathe? When I needed a hollow center I removed the center point from the old dead center that came with my first lathe, mounted it in the headstock and used a twist drill mounted in a Jacob's chuck in the tailstock to bore it out. I was making it for a 5/16" lamp auger and I believe I bored it out 1/64" oversize so it wouldn't bind. It seemed to work fine the time or two I used it. You would need to check to make sure the center you are trying to bore is not hardened.

Take care
    Bob

Hi Bob. I think it says No. 2 as in number 2 MT, not that it doesn't have one. Interesting idea about boring out a dead center... I do have an extra. Could be a good (and cheap!) solution. Love this site for all the ideas and solutions.
    Ben

product description says it is a No. 2 MT - so you're good to go.

Oops! I missed the period after the No and read it as no 2MT rather than No. 2MT. The photo appears to be quite straight and short on the end that would seat into the tailstock so that probably influenced my error. Sorry!

Bob