Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to woodworking, should I get a table saw to start?

I have used my table saw to joint stuff for gluing, but the jointer buries it.

You have to be very careful in order to make a nice edge on a table saw, and there are a lot of ways to mess up. When I use the jointer, it takes about one minute from the time I wheel it out to the time I wheel it back in place. It's just about foolproof, and it's a pleasure to use. No snipe. No noise. Very little mess. Very hard to make a bad cut. You can set it to take off a microscopic layer of wood without throwing dust everywhere the way a table saw would.

I learned various ways to joint on the table saw. Clamps, boards, sleds...you name it. I avoid that stuff whenever possible. By the time I find the gadgets and get it set up, I could have done it four times on the jointer, with zero risk of destroying the work.

Bonus: no tearout.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Blog Entries
    I have both tools. I will rip on the table saw with a glueline blade and often that's it.

Setting the joiner to eliminate snipe used to be an issue. I recently learned that if you will set the sniped end on the out feed table and adjust it, the snipe will be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clark View Post
    This 12 minute video really opened my eyes to a bandsaw's versatility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbwH9510MY
    Yes, a band saw is versatile. This comes as no surprise to anyone who owns one. However, it is interesting to note that the guy did the tenon on a table saw instead of the band saw. Why do you suppose that is? In all probability, almost all the crosscuts and rips were done on a table saw. The reason is that a band either won't do the cut or won't do it very well. If the OP has the money to buy both, then he should certainly do so. The question is which to buy first. My opinion is that the table saw will do well most of the jobs a beginner is likely to do whereas a band saw will not.

I would really like to hear what kind of projects the original poster has in mind. Then, we can all give better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Yes, a band saw is versatile. This comes as no surprise to anyone who owns one. However, it is interesting to note that the guy did the tenon on a table saw instead of the band saw. Why do you suppose that is? In all probability, almost all the crosscuts and rips were done on a table saw. The reason is that a band either won't do the cut or won't do it very well. If the OP has the money to buy both, then he should certainly do so. The question is which to buy first. My opinion is that the table saw will do well most of the jobs a beginner is likely to do whereas a band saw will not.

I would really like to hear what kind of projects the original poster has in mind. Then, we can all give better advice.
    I do tenons on my bandsaw when I don't saw them by hand. But I have a couple of shoulder planes to clean them up, too.
    Paul

For the majority of woodworkers table saw (or a slider) is the centerpiece of a woodworking setup. Same for me. I can see with workaround doing without a table saw but using other tools (bandsaw, tracks, etc) but I don't think they can approach the efficiency and quality of table saw. If you don't care about speed and efficiency, anything is possible, including nearly all unplugged hand tools.

Mark Duginske has a video where he makes tenons on a band saw. He uses paper shims to get the width correct, taking off about four thousandths at a time. Then he says some pretty harsh things about storebought gadgets.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-20-2015 at 1:28 PM. Reason: pm me for reason

What I should have said was, "If I worked for Woodpeck.com or Incra, I would toilet-paper his house."

Which is probably wooden.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I have used my table saw to joint stuff for gluing, but the jointer buries it.
    Suffice it to say that not all woodworkers agree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    If I were starting again, I would have bought the biggest, best bandsaw I could afford. With a proper fence and a good jack plane (to clean the cut up a bit), a bandsaw can do anything a table saw can, and a ton of things a table saw can't. Learn to crosscut with a handsaw, and use the Jack plane and a shooting board to make the cuts perfect. I think you need a shooting board even with a table saw.

seriously, a good bandsaw is indispensable. And much less likely to maim you, to boot.

of course, bear in mind that I'm primarily a galoot.
    Nonsense (a bandsaw can do anything a table saw can, and a ton of things a table saw can't.)
    Nonsense (a good bandsaw is indispensable)
    Nonsense (I'm primarily a galoot)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Nonsense..........
    Nonsense................
    Nonsense ...............
    Pat - I'm not sure I understand your position.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

As a relatively new hobbyist, I would also recommend a table saw. But, I've done ok with a small contractor saw. It definitely has it's limitations, but I'm not doing production work, so I don't mind the time it takes to set up jigs and indeed/out feed tables, etc I have made decent glue joints, miters, tenons, dados, groves for inlay, etc with my $300 saw. I spent considerable time setting it up as best as I can, and investing in some good blades. Now I am tight on space, you aren't, so a hybrid or cabinet saw would definitely be less work.

Other power tools I find essential is my router/router table, and surface planer. Beyond these power tools, I rely most on a jack plane, jointer plane, router plane, chisels, and hand saws.

Welcome to the craft, and enjoy the journey!
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 07-20-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Summers View Post
    Good morning all and thanks for all the info. It seems everyone agrees on the TS addition. Next question is a portable or cabinet option. I'm blessed with a large workshop so space really isn't an issue. I'd like to get a TS for 1K or less, I see lots of them on craigslist for under $500 but many are very old or the portable models with tiny tables. Safety is always a concern with accuracy
    a close second. Thanks again for your advise!
    I'll keep it simple and answer your second question
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...-Series/G0715P

If you have 240 Volts available
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-5...-Saw/G1023RLWX
    Last edited by Dave Verstraete; 07-21-2015 at 6:32 PM. Reason: to fix link
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Nonsense (a bandsaw can do anything a table saw can, and a ton of things a table saw can't.)
    Nonsense (a good bandsaw is indispensable)
    Nonsense (I'm primarily a galoot)

Uh, what the hell?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Uh, what the hell?

tongue in cheek. used the wrong critter/icon, I guess. You could not have been more clear...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For most people, the table saw is the main tool used in the shop.

Mike
    Yes, and I am one of them. Almost every one of my projects either starts with or involves my table saw.