Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graco Sprayer is out, Now what? HVLP, turbine....Lost

Graco Sprayer is out, Now what? HVLP, turbine....Lost

Thanks to those that responded to my thread about the Graco Sprayer. I am convinced of two things
    1. A paint sprayer with a compressor is the way to go
    2. I have no idea what paint sprayer to get and I don't know how big of compressor to get
    Other than the above, I am ready to start spraying furniture.

So I have two compressors, a small pancake and an Ingersoll Rand single stage twin stack that puts out 4.4 cfm at 90 psi. I have a cheap harbor freight spray gun that I haven't tried to use, and that's it. I guess my biggest problem, and why I feel paralyzed, is that I don't know how the two things, gun and compressor relate to each other.

For those that are nice enough to respond, I am simply looking for a setup that will spray both latex paint and various stains, and is not a fortune to get into. I would love to not have to buy a compressor but if you tell me I need to, I will, just let me know what the minimum specs should be.

I'm sorry for the long thread but I really need help from the more experienced folks on here. Thanks so much in advance.

Scott

I am no expert by any stretch, but have you considered an Earlex sprayer. The 5500 is completely self contained, and ready to go out of the box. Fill it up, select the correct nozzle, plug it in an go.

By the time you get done buying what is needed to parallel your compressors, adding a downstream moisture trap and dryer, buy a quality gun and hose setup, you might not be as far away from buying a self contained unit as you think. HVLP guns take a bit of air.

Harbor frieght also has some LVLP gun setups, but the guys I know that use them ,consider them one or two time throw aways. Still and option though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike
    Thanks for the response. I have considered the earlex and read many reviews. From what I can tell, other than the loud noise, it seems to get high reviews. Do you have one? It can handle both latex and stains fairly easily?

Scott

I do not have one. I was loaned a 3500, and a 5500, a few years back to spray a wipe on varnish finish over a large area.IIRC. We thinned the wipe on finish about 5% for flow control. I've meant to get one, bit I keep going back and forth on the issue,a nd so far haven't had a ned for anything than finishing by hand. That's going to change here soon, and I am looking at the 5500, the Apollo's and the Turbinaire units.

I have not sprayed paint with one, but I don't see why they won't work. It's actually supposed to be their "cuppa" so to speak.You may need a latex thinner. If Jason Roehl is about, He'd be one of the best resources, as he paints for a living.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've used a Fuji turbine for years with great success. I've tried on most anything to know what it's right for and what's it's not. Success has been with spraying a shed exterior, painting furniture, painting steel, painting ceilings, mudroom cabinetry and other smaller projects. My father has an Earlex and is quite happy. I would not paint the exterior of a house, that is reserved for airless. but doing trim work is fine outside.

I would say go with a turbine system over a compressor and gun. A turbine is more transportable, no issues with water or oil in lines. Cleaning the guns is simple depending on the solvent needed or water based. Next few months I'll spray my boat inside and out with the same Fuji. I have several guns, siphon and gravity. I use the 3M PPS cups for easy refills and cleanup.

I've done the compressor route; but for hobby, home and small professional projects which can be in any location, a turbine has been straight forward.

Apollo, Fuji, Earlex and others all make comparable turbine systems. Having multiple spray tip sizes and cup sizes allows any project.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 07-18-2015 at 5:29 PM.

I had a Fuji 3 stage HVLP and it really struggled trying to spray latex, even when diluted. Also, it felt like I had a garden hose attached to it, even though I was using the smaller 'whip'

Graco TrueCoat - is fine for larger items, but it felt like I was spraying paint with a garden hose

Considered purchasing a high end Appollo HVLP but after doing a lot of research I settled on a compressor driven HVLP gun. For me it made sense because I already owned a good compressor and I had no need for 'portability'

What I really like about my system - is a purchased a 2 quart pressure pot that has a wide opening. I can literally place a 'container' of paint - pint jars, quart cans, etc inside and when I am done, I pull the container out, put the lid on and put it away for another day. I have 6' hoses, so it only takes a couple ounces of material - which will drain back down into the pot when done. The best part - I can increase the pressure on the pot to FORCE the heavier latex paints to the tip of the gun - no need to thin, even with the heavy water based primers. The gun will spray at any angle and is a lot less cumbersome.

To clean - let the paint drain back into the container in the pot and put that away. Fill the pot with hot soapy water and spray that through, and then take the gun apart and finish up with the threads etc

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...untank-setups/

SprayCat.jpg

I dont think you are going to find a sprayer that does both well. I have sprayed with several different types of guns, but IMO a sprayer made for lacquers and stains does not spray latex well. A compressor driven HVLP will get you going on the cheap, they dont require a ton of pressure so a smaller compressor will work. I have turned out some really nice cabinet and furniture sprayed with a $80 HVLP and my 20 gallon compressor. I upgraded to a Graco finish pro 9.0, it does a wonderful job of spraying lacquers, stains, sealers....but it takes alot of thinning and a big tip to get a decent latex paint through it. Thats my .02, get that harbor freight gun out and start some trial and error with it, you will learn alot just messing around with that.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Compressor driven HVLP guns have a wider range of capability than a turbine unit. If you want one gun that can do it all you need one where you can change the needles and air caps. A pressure assisted gun offers even more capability. My advise is to call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing and discuss your needs with him and see what he recommends. You'll save a lot of time and frustration, and probably money because you'll get the right equipment the first time.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Compressor driven HVLP guns have a wider range of capability than a turbine unit. If you want one gun that can do it all you need one where you can change the needles and air caps. A pressure assisted gun offers even more capability. My advise is to call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing and discuss your needs with him and see what he recommends. You'll save a lot of time and frustration, and probably money because you'll get the right equipment the first time.

John
    Yes, this, call Jeff. I bought my present hvlp conversion setup based on a conversation with Jeff at a show, I actually bought a competitors gun but his advice on set ups was invaluable. He sells excellent equipment. We have an air assisted airless at work that will spray it all, runs about $5k! You still have to change tips. Latex is thick like mud, stain is closer to water, lacquer falls in between, so that's a variety of tip sets to deal with, no one point and shoot will do it all without adjusting the hole it comes out of. I still suggest moving away from latex paints for finishing other than walls, trim and siding, there are better coatings for your furniture and cabinets.

I'm using an Asturo WB Gravity feed conversion gun, conversion guns turn hi pressure air into hi volume low pressure spray at the gun, they list the SCFM requirements required for the gun, so you match your compressor to that. Gun first, compressor to suit. Turbines are matched and self sufficient.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I have a graco turbine/ gun set that I've used for about 10 years. It came with 3 needle/nozzle sets. It does Ok at spraying latex and really shines spraying WB poly.

I agree with Peter about avoiding latex paint. I would start with finding the right finish and then talk to some one who sells spray equipment to find the right match. If you have the pockets for it, one of the airless assist systems would save you time and money in the long run.

I would be extremely cautious picking a non toxic finish for children's furniture - pick up just about any woodworking trade magazine and there will be an article about some company being sued over dangerous children's furniture.

An Earlex will spray thinned 'latex' though I'm pretty sure tinted water based lacquer would be a better choice. 'Latex' is probably not a good choice for cabinetry and furniture anyway, it can stay 'blocky' (sticky) long term. A friend needed some cheap white utility cabinetry so I used some latex wall paint thinned with floetrol and distilled water then topcoated with water based poly. That seems to have worked but is not a 'high-end' solution. It sprayed okay though. I did spray some outdoor trellises with an 'acrylic enamel' that produced a much better surface and is proving durable. I suspect part of the reason the Earlex does as well as it does with thicker finishes and low air pressure (2 stage blower) is due to the cup being pressurized rather than suction. It will certainly never replace an airless (or probably 4 wheel turbines)for thicker finishes.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-19-2015 at 9:03 AM.

Scott,
    Why are you interested in spraying latex?

In your earlier post about the graco, you said that you were interested in applying paint to children's furniture.

When I refinished my son's desk, I used General Finishes milk paint sprayed with an earlex and their wider tip. Worked well. This isn't a true milk paint, but an acrylic that looks like milk paint. I also applied a wb varnish as a top coat, but don't think that is strictly necessary.

I have used latex in some earlier, hand-painted built-in projects and didn't like the result. The paint remains somewhat rubbery and sticky.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 07-19-2015 at 9:54 AM.

OK, it's time for me to point out again that latex doesn't mean wall paint, although many associate the term with that product. All latex means is polymer water emulsion. It encompasses wall paint as well as what many now refer to as water borne paints, and a host of other products. Those who have cautioned the OP not to use latex wall paint have offered good advise as it's not designed for cabinets or other surfaces subjected to hard use. I've used SW's Pro Classic Acrylic Enamel, what many would call a water borne paint and think it to be superior by inference. But if you look at the label or PDS you'll see that SW refers to it as a latex paint. It is superior to wall paint for cabinets and trim work, but it's still a latex paint. The difference in performance stems from the choice of resins used to make it.

John

Hi Scott, I recently painted trim and doors with BM alkyd semi gloss white and water based poly over stained window trim. The painted trim was mostly installed but some was painted and then installed. After the fact I think lacquer might have been a better choice for me but lacking experience and worried about fumes, I stuck with these paints and a respirator. When painting in the garage I used a 900cfm exhaust fan for ventilation with plastic hanging from ceiling to help control overspray.

I started with a small 1.5 hp compressor with 20 gal tank. I called Jeff at Homestead for sprayer advise. At his recommendation I bought LVLP air assisted conversion gun (I bought the QualSpray AM-6008/1Qt with 1.0, 1.3, 1.5mm setups in the LVLP kit) and it worked well for more than 1000 feet of trim, 20 doors and casings, and 11 window casings. Half way through the job, I bought a more powerful used 220v craigslist compressor in the 11 to 12 cfm @ 40psi range which worked better. Better because I didn't have to stop and wait for air after 1 or 2 doors. Actually I ended up buying 3 different compressors: one a compressor from sears (the small one) and two 9+ cfm @ 40 psi off craigslist. The first craigslist one had a leak in the tank and I returned it to the seller. I paid $160 for the Sears, and less than $150 for each of the other larger compressors. They were Sears models too. I sold the small sears one for what I paid although I spent a couple hours cleaning it up after spraying the white paint. After that I moved the larger compressor out side and ran the hose into the garage. I did use a slightly larger diameter hose than what came with the compressor to help minimize pressure/flow loss.

Although I don't know near as much about spraying as others who are giving advice, I can say I did get smooth gloss and semi gloss finishes but I did sand after priming and sometimes between coats. I did have trouble with runs on the doors sometimes. Lack of experience and knowledge. I think an HVLP conversion gun rather than LVLP might have been better choice but I had a small 1.5hp compressor when I bought the gun and it would not have run HVLP. The second compressor I got might have run the HVLP. The 1 quart pressure cup I used on the gun could do both sides of 4 doors with thinned alkyd before refilling.

I would rather have had remote pot so I could position the gun in any direction while spraying but that is more money. Maybe some day.

I am so glad I sprayed rather than brushed. If the surfaces are prepared (sanded smooth), then spraying gives a nice smooth finish. The alkyd I used took long time to harden to the point where boards could be stacked. Maybe 2 weeks. They could be handled after 4 hoursI assume lacquer would cure much faster.

I am inexperienced novice and don't want to say a LVLP/HVLP conversion gun or something similar is the best way to go. Really, all I want to say is that this is what I bought, mainly because it was relatively inexpensive, I had a small compressor used for other purposes. It did work for me. The BM alkyd paint I sprayed did not give as nice of finish as professionally sprayed lacquer finishes that I have seen although I sometimes got results very very close to the same. Sometimes I got a little orange peal and called it good. Sometimes I sanded the orange peal and got smoother surface results on the next coat. The water based poly I used came out really nice. I used Dalys Seafin Aquaspar gloss with the 1mm setup.

I would not use a 1.5hp compressor. I would clean it up, sell it and use the money to buy a used compressor closer to 11 or 12cfm at 40psi ($150) and maybe buy an HVLP gun instead of LVLP assuming air flow would be adequate (I never checked to see if it would work). The size of tank is not that important unless you are using small compressor and spraying small items. Then you can get by with smaller compressor but I would not do that. Too much hassle when tank air quickly looses pressure and affects spraying, even with regulator at tank set to lower pressure. Much better having compressor that can maintain airflow. Turbans don't have a tank. Just need to produce air volume. Talk to Jeff at Homestead for compressor and gun settings on whichever gun you get. Turban system may be better and/or easier for what you want to do, I don't know.

Matt
    You bring up an excellent point. I am not sure why I am fixated on "latex" paint other than I don't know about milk paint. I guess what I really want, now that you bring this up is the ability to spray stains (stains as I know them like whats on the shelf at the BORG) and also spray colors (maybe not latex)

To break it down to it's simplest term, I would like to sometimes simply let the natural grain of the wood to show and other times let my customers pick a particular color for their furniture. Not sure I'm making sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Scott,
    Why are you interested in spraying latex?

In your earlier post about the graco, you said that you were interested in applying paint to children's furniture.

When I refinished my son's desk, I used General Finishes milk paint sprayed with an earlex and their wider tip. Worked well. This isn't a true milk paint, but an acrylic that looks like milk paint. I also applied a wb varnish as a top coat, but don't think that is strictly necessary.

I have used latex in some earlier, hand-painted built-in projects and didn't like the result. The paint remains somewhat rubbery and sticky.

Matt