Thread: Bailey #4 cap??

Bailey #4 cap??

I picked up a Bailey #4 C type 10 at a flea market for .50. However the cap has no logo but instead has the cross checking somewhat like the old 220's. It also has an "S" on the back which I take is the Sessions foundry. Did Stanley ever put out planes without the Stanley name prominent of the cap?
    Ed

Yeah, they did. Walter's book doesn't mention a logo on the lever cap until Type 13 (1925). The checkered/pebbled cap on your #4 is probably a substitution for the original, though. I suspect that it started life on one of the transitional planes and 'migrated over' to your #4 at a much later date.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Breen
    I picked up a Bailey #4 C type 10 at a flea market for .50. However the cap has no logo but instead has the cross checking somewhat like the old 220's. It also has an "S" on the back which I take is the Sessions foundry. Did Stanley ever put out planes without the Stanley name prominent of the cap?
    Ed

What Jim said.

But heck, for $.50 don't worry about it!
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Thumbs up

$.5? did i read that right (not a typo?) If no cracks and gets the job done, that's one of the best bargains i've heard so far!

or i maybe wrong. Has anyone have had similar finds or could top that one?
    (i bought a decent #4 for ~$20)

5. Other than being given several planes by forum members (another forum), no. I just received a #5 1/4 I'm going to make into a scrub for free, too.

But alas, most have cost much more.

Mike

You can find a proper lever cap for your plane on the large on-line auction site, but you will pay more then $0.50

Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Rosal
    $.5? did i read that right (not a typo?) If no cracks and gets the job done, that's one of the best bargains i've heard so far!

or i maybe wrong. Has anyone have had similar finds or could top that one?
    (i bought a decent #4 for ~$20)
    I once got an Ohio Tool 07C jointer for $4. at an auction, it looked sad as it had a lot of rust, but the rust was only surface stuff and came off well enough and now I use it frequently.

Though my restorations don't look as pretty as some I have seen here, it does the job.
    Last edited by James Mittlefehldt; 08-20-2005 at 3:51 PM.

Smile Bailey #4 cap

All of the planes in my collection I got from garage sales. The only plane that cost me more than $4 was a stanley #4 1/2 that was in excellent condition. Previous to that I never paid more than $4 for any of the other planes I have acquired - this includes a #3, multiple #4's, 3 #5's, 4 #6's and 2 #7's. most of the planes had light surface rust on them but were easy to clean up and put in working condition. The preceding list does not include the block planes, rabbet and router planes and the transitional planes The absolute best buy was a Record "compass" plane($225 retail) that was used once and sold to me because it was a "piece of junk" (blade had never been sharpened) The worst planes I bought (for $1) had been stored in a metal shed that had a hole in the roof directly over where the planes were sitting. I bought 2 of them for parts but was able to resurrect one of them. To be completely fair, I visited lots and lots!! of garage sales to come up with these bargains.

Well, I think I've solved it.

The cap is a from a type 6 from 1892 made by sessions foundry of Bristol Ct.

I know I've seen a picture of one in doing the research, but I can't find the model it was used on.

Ed

I found a picture of the cap, It is from a Stanley transitional plane!

Ed