Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best explanation for Great Pyramid(s)

Bronze Age - Not Copper

This "copper chisels" thing is just silly. They were built during the Bronze Age. The Bronze Age could also be called the "Copper Alloy" age. Various other metals like tin and zinc were added, significantly strengthening the tools.

Add to this a very plausible idea that I heard on my last trip to the Giza Pyramids - random impurities. Metallurgy in this context would include the accidental introduction of random alloy materials. All the users know is out of the thousands of tools in Egypt, this one over here holds an edge longer. They don't need to know why - it just works better.

Then the Pharaoh's workers would tend to get the best tools because he holds the power and money. Who knows what alloys may have turned up in the best tools!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Julie says the area of the pyramids used to be a lush forest. It would make sense that in order to roll all those big blocks of rock across across the ground from the Nile barges to the building location they must have needed a lot of logs. They would have naturally stripped the forest at the building site first, then the pathway to the river and back, ultimately cut down everything. Deforestation therefore led ultimately to local climate change and the present desert. It all makes so much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    There was another PBS program a few years back where there was a single guy that was building things with huge blocks of stone or concrete that weighed tons, using only levers, fulcrums and cribbing. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the program or the largest size block he was moving, but they were immense. He lifted these huge blocks up into the air all by himself. Imagine what a group of 30 guys that all knew the right techniques could do working together.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

See the above.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Julie says the area of the pyramids used to be a lush forest. It would make sense that in order to roll all those big blocks of rock across across the ground from the Nile barges to the building location they must have needed a lot of logs. They would have naturally stripped the forest at the building site first, then the pathway to the river and back, ultimately cut down everything. Deforestation therefore led ultimately to local climate change and the present desert. It all makes so much sense.
    That is when global warming started, then. Wow......does Al Gore know about that?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    We simply don't know how the Egyptians built the pyramids with the technology the scientific community generally agrees they had available at the time. If all those brilliant minds can't figure it out, maybe there's a stone they have yet to turn.
    The Egyptians started with in ground burial, evolved to mastabas, and then pyramids over thousands of years. They very very gradually developed skills for moving heavy materials that we can't duplicate. They didn't just say one day "hey, lets build a pyramid with huge stones!" It is unreasonable to expect a current brilliant mind who has never moved any stone to come up the same method. If anyone really cared precisely how it was done and wanted to invest 50,000,000 man hours in it, I am sure we could knock a pyramid using nothing that wasn't available to the Egyptians. It isn't all that mysterious.

That's the way it is with technology. Someone mentioned that just because we can't send a man to the moon now doesn't mean we couldn't have done it 30 years ago. In fact, it would take a decade to build a Saturn V rocket; the plans were disposed of and no one know how it was built. Just because our technology has advanced significantly doesn't mean we can just dash one off, any more than it means we can recreate a pyramid.
    But there is no reason to assume the Egyptians has some superior technology, any more than it does to assume that aliens helped build the Saturn V.

No remains ,at least of any of the big shots, have been found in the pyramids. The stone chambers that some call tombs could be something else. Maybe hot tubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    No remains ,at least of any of the big shots, have been found in the pyramids. The stone chambers that some call tombs could be something else. Maybe hot tubs.

It is well documented that priests removed and reburied all remains when society broke down and their security could not be maintained.

Do aliens like hot tubs?

That's the trouble with pyramids, too easy to break in. They should have put them in some big stone structure with no doors or windows.

What if they found a hieroglyph of a flying saucer in one of the rooms?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    That's the trouble with pyramids, too easy to break in. They should have put them in some big stone structure with no doors or windows.
    Doesn't stop them. When the entrances are blocked up, the robbers just tunnel through. Er, I mean the aliens just tunnel through. Grave robbers couldn't possibly do that!

Do you ever think about the fact that 4000 years from now they won't be able to figure out how we built our banks? Or what purpose they served? Technology will change so much, just imagine if it continues changing at the speed it is now. Most people today do not know how to use a pressured white gas Coleman lantern or how they are made and that technology is only a hundred years old. The majority of people today cannot drive a car with a manual transmission. I found a camel back wooden trunk wrapped in steel in the landfill one time. I read of people finding old tools taken to the land fill all the time. History is eventually just flushed down the toilet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Do you ever think about the fact that 4000 years from now they won't be able to figure out how we built our banks? Or what purpose they served? Technology will change so much, just imagine if it continues changing at the speed it is now. Most people today do not know how to use a pressured white gas Coleman lantern or how they are made and that technology is only a hundred years old. The majority of people today cannot drive a car with a manual transmission. I found a camel back wooden trunk wrapped in steel in the landfill one time. I read of people finding old tools taken to the land fill all the time. History is eventually just flushed down the toilet.
    And in the next 4000 years there could be any number of different kinds of events that would challenge man's ability to survive. When there's no food, we won't care much about our Twitter account or building tall buildings even Superman can't leap.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

The 70 ton blocks are located at the top of the king's chamber. They are the gable blocks and are at the height of about half way to the top of the pyramid which is around 150' above ground level.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ottenbreit View Post
    That is really something.

I suppose lifting the stones could have been done. Now, about the carving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Doesn't stop them. When the entrances are blocked up, the robbers just tunnel through. Er, I mean the aliens just tunnel through. Grave robbers couldn't possibly do that!
    Remember, all that we see around us isn't really there-it's an illusion. It's all empty space, the reason why objects don't simple merge into one another is electrostatic repulsion.

The reason why you 'see' something is the electron cloud throwing back wavelengths of visible light.

So, get around that, yes, the little guys can just move right on through.

The physicist out there can back me up on this?

Enough fantasy. I'm meeting Mike Holbrook for breakfast and a lesson on greenwoodworking and chairs!
    David